If you haven't seen either series, here are the reasons to start watching.
This season was a lot to take in. There were so many new twists and developments. The Castor clones were just scary. I did feel bad for the one they were experimenting on and was glad Helena obeyed his request to put him out of his misery. Also, I feel like Mark was one of the good ones, even if he's probably not. I'm sad that Cal wasn't around more, as he's my favorite eye candy on the show. (Sorry Paul fans, although I did hate that he got killed off.) Sarah got herself into quite a few tricky situations, but I'm glad she came out on top in the end. I also love that things are better between Sarah and Helena. Speaking of...Helena really stole the show this season. The best scene ever was when she came out of the drug lord warehouse covered in blood and told Donnie she got him his refund. That, combined with her pretending to be Alison, was awesome! Alison's story line was pretty interesting, but had more of a Desperate Housewives feel once again. I'm glad she won the election though. I feel bad for Cosima, as she found someone to love but now she can't trust her and the woman she still loves is probably dead now. Felix was awesome this season. He really took charge and helped Sarah out a lot. We learned some new information about Mrs. S, as well. All in all, a nail-biting, edge of your seat season. I'm still going through withdrawal!
- Who shot Delphine?
- Whose side is Ferdinand really on now?
- Where did Rachel's mother come from all of a sudden?
- How is the Neolutionist movement back now that Dr. Leekie is gone?
- What is going to happen with Krystal?
- Will Kendall be able to help cure both Castor and Leda clones?
Orange is the New Black:
Since so much happened in 13 episodes, I'm just going to post my thoughts in list format.
- I hate everything that happened to Sophia this season between her son becoming a troublemaker to everyone ostracizing her at Litchfield to being thrown into SHU for her own protection. Laverne Cox did some amazing acting this season and I hope she gets an Emmy for it.
- The whole situation with Daya is heartbreaking. First off, Bennett left and didn't even say anything to her about it. And this was after he proposed to her! Then her mom is using her situation to get money from Pornstache's mother. And after Daya agreed to the adoption for the sake of her child's happiness, her friend turned on her. Then Aleida lied to Pornstache's mom about the baby. That is going to blow up in their faces though. Now Daya's baby is somewhere in the system and she probably won't find out about it until it's too late. I just hope the baby at least gets adopted by a loving family.
- Alex had a pretty rough season with being thrown back in prison, finding out Piper was behind it, worrying for her life and thinking Lolly was after her, and now this guard, who is connected with Kubra, confronting her.
- I hate that the one guard who screwed Nicky over is somehow still making money off the drugs she asked him to sell for her and she's stuck in Max. I miss Nicky!!!
- I loved Pennsatucky this season. She's softened up a lot and there's so much more to her story. I also love that Big Boo is protecting her.
- The whole Norma religious group got annoying after a while. Especially with the piece of toast in the final episode. I hate Leanne and how mean she was to Soso. That was horrible. I'm glad Norma finally got fed up with Leanne.
- As for Soso, I'm glad she's okay and that Poussey welcomed her into her group. I'm also glad she told Healy that he's bad at his job. That was awesome.
- I liked the Jewish angle. I know it's come under some criticism, but I'm glad that Cindy ended up committing to it and realizing that was what she really wanted. And it was cool that they talked about going to the mikvah and that Cindy got to experience it in some way.
- I'm totally shipping Red and Healy. I like how they balance each other out.
- I love that Morello got married. She and Vinnie are cute together. And so funny that the guard let them consummate their marriage by wearing headphones and looking away while it happened.
- I like that Caputo had more of a story this season and that we learned what a pushover he's always been. I'm glad Danny quit MCC. I was annoyed with him for a while, but it seems like he really was on Caputo's side in all that was going on.
- Piper's panty selling business was clever, but pretty gross when you think about it. I love that Cal and Niri were trying to make their own formula to replicate the smell. Overall, I think the series would be fine without Piper. There are so many other stories that it could go on for years! Especially now that there's a slew of new inmates. Glad we got Chang, Big Boo, and Norma's stories this time around.
- Saving the best for last....Stella! Ruby Rose is definitely one to keep an eye on. Definitely #girlcrush-worthy. It's crazy how she tried to screw Piper over and how it ended up backfiring. I love how she took it in stride though.
I know there is so much to talk about from this show, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.
If you watch BOTH shows (all three seasons), you'll appreciate some of these ideas to blend them together:
- Leanne could be Prolethian instead of Amish. If Gracie ended up at Litchfield, they could even start some new religious group together.
- Nicky and Helena could pretend to be each other from behind to trick people.
- Piper and Alison could go into business, using the panties as a front for drug smuggling.
- Cosima would get together with Alex now that she's single again. They even look similar.
- Rachel would take over Litchfield and try to get all the women to carry Helena's babies.
- Helena and Red could talk about everyone in Russian.
- The guards are really Neolutionist monitors.
- Alison could work with Caputo to campaign for better conditions.
- Tony and Stella could be an interesting match. Stella could help him look more like a boy. Or Tony and Sophia could lament about transitioning to the other gender.
- Helena would "get a refund" from Leanne, anyone who bullied Sophia, and Coates. She'd even join Vinnie to go after Christopher. (Too bad Vee isn't around anymore for her to mess with.)
- Alison and Poussey get drunk together.
- I've noticed that I haven't fit Sarah anywhere in here. Honestly, I don't know where or how she'd really get involved. Maybe being on the outside and trying to break the other clones out by pretending to be them to throw off the guards?
Any other ideas?