Thursday, May 6, 2010

For the TV show of my life...

I have a few friends who knit and blog and we've decided to embark on a blog project that has nothing to do with knitting. We're going to take turns coming up with a topic every Thursday and we each have to blog about it by the end of that day and post links to each others' blogs so that people can see our different perspectives on the same topic.

Check out the backstory about how the project was conceived and how we all came together.

Here are the other blogs:

Froggie Knits Like Crazy
Charmingly Random
Desperate Madness

This week it is my turn to ask the question: What is your theme song? (Please share a link to the song and/or lyrics, if possible.)

I didn't know that a person could have a theme song until I saw "Ally McBeal" in 1998. Ally was seeing a quirky therapist (played by Tracy Ullman) who told her to find a theme song for herself. Afterward, she is walking down the street and dancing along to "Tell Him" by the Exciters (but sung by Vonda Shepard, as all songs were on the show).

After that, I thought long and hard about whether or not I had my own theme song. They seemed to come easily to some of my friends (there was one who chose "Walking on Sunshine" without giving a second thought to the matter), but I felt stuck. I abandoned the idea for a long time after the realization that I didn't have a theme song after all.

Flash forward to 2007. I had just moved to NJ and made some new friends shortly after settling in. One friend had a mix CD that she was playing in her car when we were on our way to a fair. The first song that came on was Right Back Where We Started From by Maxine Nightingale. It brought back memories of hearing it at Cubs games, which brought back memories of previews for "Slums of Beverly Hills," which is where I first remember hearing that song (I'm sure I've heard it on oldies stations as a kid, but I didn't give it much thought). Then my friend made me a copy of the mix CD and I started playing that song over and over again. It motivated me on my way to job interviews and I loved singing and dancing along to it. I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics. I just felt that the song was about making a fresh start, which was what I had to do in NJ. It also made me think that if I were a kid or teenager in the mid-70's, I'd probably be obsessed with it then, as well. It's just fun and carefree.

It's been almost 3 years since I adopted this as my theme song. I've once again had to make a fresh start when I moved to Maryland. I still play the song when I'm out driving and also turn up the volume whenever it comes on the radio. It came on last week and I was telling my husband how much I like it. He then told me that it's about a couple that is fighting a lot and has to start over again in their relationship. I told him that I just like the tune of the song and that I feel it can be about starting over in any aspect of life.

In the meantime, I also have this thing for "Hey, Soul Sister" by Train. It's a strange song, but it somehow sticks in my head a lot and I end up singing it all the time. It's like my secondary theme song. It won't take the place of "Right Back Where We Started From," but it still is fun to sing and dance along with the lyrics and tune. In some ways, it makes me feel younger than I am. It's almost like the feeling I get from writing a blog that's just about me. Just about discovering all the things I thought I had forgotten and baring my soul, so to speak.

Here are the lyrics to both songs:
"Right Back Where We Started From"
"Hey, Soul Sister"

No comments: