Tuesday, March 8, 2011

An "active" life

I was recently presented with another daily challenge from Facebook. This time, it was about writing down five activities that make me happy.

I've decided not to talk about the obvious stuff, since that will always be a source of happiness in my life. And if you don't know what the obvious things are, then you don't really know me.

1. Reading. That could be stated as an obvious, but it's always been a huge source of joy in my life. I'm content whenever I have a book in my hands, especially if it's an entertaining one. I wrote this post for Chick Lit Central last summer, to elaborate on my love for reading.

2. Shopping. My name may not be Becky Bloomwood, but get me into my favorite thrift store and my shopping capabilities rival hers. I don't shop at fancy department stores or boutiques, but instead love a good bargain and finding things I never thought I'd be able to get my hands on. This post from last year does not even begin to cover my love for all things Unique and Value Village related. Aside from that, I'm a junkie for Target and Wal-Mart.

3. Baking. I am not talking about getting high, thank you very much. I love to bake cookies, cakes, brownies, and most importantly...challah! Something about the smell of the food as it is baking and the feel of pride from having a successful product to eat afterward is pure nirvana for me. I also love making frozen treats, such as ice cream pies and what is known as "Barbie's Malibu Dream Cake."

4. Singing. Just call me Rachel Berry! I love to sing. My voice needs more of a workout these days, but I'll still sing along with whatever CD is playing in my car. (Today it was the "Little Shop of Horrors" soundtrack.) I sing while doing chores around the house, as well. It's such a fun stress relief for me. I miss going to Karaoke bars and hope to get to one sometime in the near future.

5. Going to movie theaters. Despite the fact that movies cost an arm and a leg to see in the theaters these days, I still like the experience from the initial smells of popcorn to the previews and then to the actual movie. The feel of seeing it on a big screen with a huge sound system will always rival seeing it on DVD in the comfort of my home. It's a rare treat to go to a movie theater these days (and not just because of the cost involved). I cherish it even more as a result. I'll even go to see movies by myself, just to enjoy the theater experience. The last time I did that was in 2008 for "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2." The moment I got into the theater, I had a huge smile on my face. It was such a natural high!

Since I was told to list only five activities, I'll stop here. I could think of plenty more though!

My BFF (Froggie, whom you may remember from our blog project last year) also wrote a post about five activities that make her happy. Check it out! If you do a post like this for yourself, I'd be interested in seeing it, as well.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Are you planning on taking the Facebook 30 day challenge and posting it on your blog? I had thought to do the same thing! I think it gives you more room to say what you really want to. I'm also an avid reader, as well as a bargain shopper! Too bad we don't live closer to one another, I think we'd have a great time looking for bargains! :)