Friday, July 29, 2011

Funny Friday-7/29-Gonna wash that poison out of my hair!

When I was little, I thought Laura Branigan was singing about "all the poison in your hair" when she said "all the voices in your head" in her song "Gloria." This was probably my first misheard lyric, but definitely not my last! Throughout the years, I've misheard many lyrics. When "'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy" ("'Scuse me while I kiss the sky" from "Purple Haze") came out, I knew I had to get it. The misheard lyrics in there were hilarious! The author later put out other books called "When a Man Loves a Walnut" and "He's Got the Whole World in His Pants." He did a Christmas version, as well.

Some of the misheard lyrics in these books are classic, such as "The cross-eyed bear that you gave to me" instead of "The cross I bear that you gave to me." ("You Oughta Know," Alanis Morissette)

Aside from the lyrics in "Gloria," I wanted to share some other personally misheard lyrics.

"I say with the sound of matzah": "Mama se mama sa mama coo sah" from "Wanna be Startin' Something" by Michael Jackson

"Say goodbye to my heart tonight": "Take a bite of my heart tonight" from "Animal" by Neon Trees

"Don't look back at this crumb burning fool": "Don't look back at this crumbling fool" from "Take it All" by Adele ("21")

I've misheard lyrics from Broadway shows and Disney movies too. When I had a website about "Rent," I even posted a page of misheard lyrics from the show. (Such as "Happy Europe withdrawal" instead of "half a year of withdrawal" which is from the intro song.) It turned out that I wasn't the only one who misheard lyrics from "Rent."

Here's a website with lots of misheard lyrics.

I'd love to hear your favorite misheard lyrics. Please comment with them. :)

2 comments:

Anne R. Allen said...

LOL I love these! I've heard them called "Mondegreens" named for the old folk song with the line "they've killed Lord Arlen, and laid him on the green" which people mis-heard as "and Lady Mondegreen."

My favorite is the old Creedence Clearwater song, "There's a bathroom on the right" (really "bad moon on the rise") I probably mis-heard it because that song is usually played in places where they serve a lot of beer.

Jeryl M. said...

My younger daughter knows the lyrics to songs too well for a five year old, and she takes them way too seriously. She says "I don't want to bite dust." (Another One Bites the Dust) or "Why does she want her baby to hit her one more time?" (Baby One More Time) or "Was she really a bad bad girl?" (The Sweet Escape".