Saturday, December 22, 2012

Three's Company

I've been blogging with three fabulous women for over a year and a half now and have been enjoying all the fun topics we come up with week after week. If you want to see what we've discussed in the past, check out our posts here.

This week, Mom of Many picked the topic: I am...

Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock

Every day at work, I support a group of managers who all want different things at the same time. This could be a report, a letter to a donor, research, a mailing, etc. At home, I have a group of "managers" who also want different things at the same time. This could be anything from a cup of juice, a snack, a bath, a story, a hug, etc.

I am a mother of three. I know that's pretty obvious, but there's more to go along with it. I will only be a mother of three, no more, no less (G-d forbid). When my husband and I first talked about having kids, I had originally said two and my husband wanted three. I agreed to three at the most, but that was it. (I told him if he wanted any more, he'd have to go all Arnold Schwarzenegger in Junior to have the rest). I am glad I went for a third, but now, as one of my friends said after she had her second, "the factory is closed."

In Orthodox Judaism, we're told to be fruitful and multiply. I know of families with many kids all close in age. Thankfully, in a Modern Orthodox community, three seems to be the average. I do know of families here with more than three kids, but it's not as common as in my brother-in-law's community out in Pikesville. In any case, I've done my multiplying and can safely say that three is my limit. Where I would have been clamoring for a baby every time I held one of my friends' babies before, I no longer have that urge. I've resorted to the grandmother/aunt philosophy that they're cute and sweet, but I get to give them back to their parents. I even felt this way the other night while watching a friend's baby. At no point did I feel like I wanted another of my own.

My last pregnancy was hard. I was sick the whole first trimester and that was while chasing around two little boys. I don't need to be "coughing in the potty" while also looking after a toddler who only wants my attention. Then there were the backaches and those weren't fun either. It hurt to sit for a lengthy period of time. I also gained a ton of weight and am still having trouble shedding the last ten pounds. I really don't think my body could take another pregnancy. Not that I'm asking it to...

To confirm this decision, I have given up my kids' clothes (even my daughter's baby clothes, and she's still a toddler) and also my maternity clothes. I don't want any of it back. I'm happy to accumulate clothes for my kids, as they are growing fast. However, those clothes will also be paid forward. I've done the same with toys, books, baby items, etc. I was only too quick to get the infant car seat out of the house as soon as my daughter was ready for a toddler seat. The high chair will be next and the crib is being completely disassembled and thrown out once she's done with it. (It's gone through three babies and a recall that makes it annoying to use because we can't push down the front anymore.) I haven't even learned how to drive the van yet and have gotten away with just driving one or two kids someplace at a time in my sedan.

I love being a mom, but I think three kids are enough for me. They each have their demands, requests, needs, etc. Finding balance and keeping everyone happy isn't as easy as you might think. And getting them out of the house on time is a huge ordeal that requires waking up at the crack of dawn. There's also the change from "one-on-one" to "zone defense." I do like that they entertain each other a lot of them time and the boys are sweet with their sister at least, even if the have their little rivalries with one another. Now that I have three, I can't even remember what life was like with two or even when my oldest was the only child. My kids fulfill me and brighten my days. They have their unique personalities that blend together in a special way that can only happen between siblings. I grew up with one sibling and we're still very close. I always imagined having a two-child household, as a result. However, I'm so glad to be a mom of three and can't imagine anything different from that now.

I just had to get this shirt when I saw it!

My three "bosses"

1 comment:

Sara said...

I feel the same way over here- with just my two! I feel blessed to have my boys, and I feel it's enough for me and my family. This was a great post Melissa!