Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Let's go to the movies....or not?

When I wrote my post last week about stuff I enjoyed in the past but don't enjoy now, I didn't include "going to the movies" as one of the items. It's something I go back and forth about because going to the movies these days is nothing like it was when I was younger. I still enjoy going to the theater--sometimes--but there's a price to pay, and I don't just mean from my wallet.

Back in the day, movies were reasonably priced. Usually about $4.00 for a matinee. And if you had a coupon from the Entertainment book, it was $4.00 at night too. The only time it's $4.00 to go to a movie theater now is if you get some major deal from Groupon for Fandango. Otherwise, it's $12 for an adult to see a matinee. At least it feels that way. It's not any less expensive for kids. Maybe $10 instead? There are NO second run theaters out by where I live. We have the big name ones like Regal and AMC. When I lived in Illinois, the dollar theater was around the corner. I loved it there. Sure, we would see these cheesy ads before the movie started and the seats weren't super comfortable, but it was nice for a date night where we didn't feel like we were spending a fortune. It reminded me of being in college and all the inexpensive options for seeing a movie on or off campus. Also, snack items were way more reasonably priced back then. I don't even bother getting snacks at the theater these days. After spending my life savings to see a movie, I am not inclined to go into debt over snacks. What bothers me the most is that theaters show a billion ads before the movie starts, but they're somehow not getting sponsorship for these ads or they would be able to charge more reasonable prices overall.

The next factor is how RUDE people are in the theater. They get up and walk around. They talk during the movie itself. They kick my seat. They play with their cell phones and text all their friends. And I won't even begin to tell you what one of my friends caught someone doing when she went to the theater once. I'll just say that the movie should have been rated X for the behavior it elicited. I also hate when people bring babies or small children to a movie that's clearly for adults. Someone brought a BABY to Les Miz. Seriously! And even when I'm at a family friendly movie, people practically encourage their kids to talk and scream. If your kid is screaming, TAKE THEM TO THE LOBBY!!! I didn't pay half my college tuition to see a movie where the soundtrack is someone's child throwing a tantrum. I'm sorry they're throwing a tantrum when the parents probably paid just as much as I did to see this movie, but if they weren't ready for the theater, they shouldn't have brought them. And now that they did, ignoring them is not going to stop the tantrum from getting worse. I was a kid once too and I remember not allowing my parents to see Mary Poppins in the theater because I was too scared of the dark. That was when tickets were 50 cents though....

I'm still somewhat traumatized by an experience I had while watching Monsters Inc. the first time in the theater back in 2001. Some man came in toward the end and was looking for his wallet. Instead of waiting an extra five minutes for the movie to be over and the lights to go up, he decided to get into our row and practically lean on top of me to look behind me for his wallet, blocking my view of the screen. He ruined an emotional scene for me and also freaked me out considerably. He was breathing really loud the whole time he was leaning over me, so you can imagine why that would be super uncomfortable.

It's also a matter of how great vs. how much of a letdown the movie is. More often than not, I have been disappointed by the movies I've been excited about seeing in the theater (i.e. Les Miz, Frozen, Brave, Avatar, etc.). Maybe one out of every three times I go, I actually enjoy the movie throughout (Monsters University, Wreck-It Ralph, The Muppets, Muppets Most Wanted, Turbo). Still, there's an imbalance of movies I didn't like vs. movies I enjoyed. I do want to see Into the Woods and The Last Five Years in the theater, but worry about being disappointed by both.

I still like the feel of being in a theater, where the screen practically overtakes you and the sound fills the room. I may not like the ads before a movie, but I'm a trailer junkie. I love finding out what movies are coming soon and getting a glimpse into them. I like the comfortable chairs that are way better than the ones I sat in at the theater when I was a kid. And stadium seating is amazing. I resent when a theater doesn't have stadium seating and I have to look up from below the screen. There's something intoxicating about the smell of popcorn as you're going into the theater, along with the lights, colors, sounds, etc. It's something that the price, rude people, and caliber of movie can not take away from me.

There's a theater by my parents' house (in the west suburbs of Chicago) that does something awesome...every Tuesday, they charge a flat rate of $5.00 per ticket all day, along with FREE popcorn. We saw Mr. Peabody and Sherman there and got to sit in this auditorium that had really comfortable lounging chairs with lots of room between our row and the row in front of us. It was probably one of the best theater experiences I've had in a long time and I enjoyed the movie too!

I long for a day when we can get back to old school prices for seeing a movie (even just once a week), or at least have some second run theaters established nearby. I don't think either will happen anytime soon. Until my fantasy becomes a reality, I'll just hang out on the couch and watch a DVD in my pajamas, with a bowl of microwave popcorn. That's the ultimate movie experience for me these days!

6 comments:

susieqlaw said...

I spent a few years living right around the corner from a movie theater where tickets were always $6. Consequently, I watched movies there regularly and enjoyed movies I probably would not have chosen. Recently, the theater held a kick start campaign and raised enough money for digital films and a new sound system. For the record, I did attend the night show, and usually, just adults attended. Ultimately, I preferred this theater experience over chain theaters.

In contrast, I went to a chain theater for the first time in years to see Frozen. It was exciting to see the 3D version. Of course, kids were there, but their presence just made me miss my nieces and nephews.

As a side note, I think I partially enjoyed Frozen, because I had not seen a Disney movie in years

Denise K. said...

Spot on, Melissa. I absolutely loathe going to the movies. But in addition to not liking the people or the cost, I also don't like how LOUD they play the movies. Makes me crazy. About the only thing I like is the popcorn, but even that isn't as good as it was back when I worked as a candy girl. I used to think my time working at a movie theater ruined the experience for me, but I think -- as you have written -- it's the movie theater companies and the patrons who have sucked out all the fun.

Janine said...

We don't go to the movies anymore either because of some of the reasons you listed. Now, we wait for one to come out on dvd on uverse and watch at home. It's much more comfy in your jammies and you can hit pause to goo use the bathroom.

Sara said...

I don't go very often, and when I do, it's always at a discounted rate. The theatre out by us offers $2 movies for the kids, and they also do a $5 any movie Mon-Thur if it's a matinee. It's just not worth it, and I don't mind waiting for the movie to come out on DVD. That way, I have the convenience of home, way better food and no extra noise. Also, the kid thing has ALWAYS bothered me, even before I became a parent. I've never understood parents bringing their children to movies that are clearly not for the kids.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Yes, I always encounter a rude person when we see a movie. And then I rant about it on my blog ;) But yes, it is SO frustrating.

Samantha said...

LMBO!
I'm always whining about the cost of movie tickets when we go. My husband LOVES to see movies in the theater.
Me? I'm like $12 for a ticket? Do what? And then I'm like "ohhhh no, we don't need popcorn." He gets that anyway. A big obnoxious one.

I'd like to see The Wedding Bride in the theater! Take that Ted Mosby!! :)