Ever since I started blogging for The Jewish Food Experience, I've become more in tune with books about food and Judaism. So when I saw an ad for Stir pop up in Goodreads, I immediately flocked to it. I knew it would be about food, but then after doing some research, I found out that Jessica Fechtor is Jewish. Voila! Since I got the opportunity to interview her for the JFE blog, I prioritized Stir so that I could talk about it when I worked on her post. Little did I know that I'd be presented with such a rich, honest, and beautifully written memoir. (Well, I had some idea it would be great, given her engaging blog posts over at Sweet Amandine.)
At 28, Jessica Fechtor was happily immersed in graduate school and her young marriage, and thinking about starting a family. Then one day, she went for a run and an aneurysm burst in her brain. She nearly died. She lost her sense of smell, the sight in her left eye, and was forced to the sidelines of the life she loved.
Jessica’s journey to recovery began in the kitchen as soon as she was able to stand at the stovetop and stir. There, she drew strength from the restorative power of cooking and baking. Written with intelligence, humor, and warmth, Stir is a heartfelt examination of what it means to nourish and be nourished."
Woven throughout the narrative are 27 recipes for dishes that comfort and delight. For readers of M.F.K.Fisher, Molly Wizenberg, and Tamar Adler, as well as Oliver Sacks, Jill Bolte Taylor, and Susannah Cahalan, Stir is sure to inspire, and send you straight to the kitchen. (Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads.)
The best way I can describe Jessica's writing is to say that it was like sitting across from her at a café and chatting as if we were lifelong friends. She takes readers through her journey from the time she fell off a treadmill to over a year post-recovery. Between chapters talking about her aneurysm and the fall-out that came afterward, she also reflects upon how she first met her husband. There are chapters where she just talks about her food experiences while traveling. At the end of most chapters, she shares a recipe that she mentioned somewhere in that chapter. Most are baking-oriented, but there are some soup recipes, as well. I just felt like I really knew her while reading this memoir. She talks so lovingly about her husband, family, and friends. I can tell that she had an amazing support system as she was finding her way back to herself. Jessica really drew me into her world, inviting me into her home in that sense.
My only "complaint" (very minor) is with the recipes in that there's a lot of time involvement for most of them. They're not all just simple "throw ingredients together and put it in the oven" recipes. Some involve a day or two in the refrigerator and extra attention in the meantime. If you're an expert in the kitchen, you'll appreciate these recipes. For someone who doesn't spend a lot of time in the kitchen or likes to keep things simple, they feel a bit overwhelming. However, I keep thinking that if Jessica could master these recipes with vision in only one eye and depleted energy, then I should at least give some of them a whirl. Especially since they sound really good! (Side note: Do not read this book on an empty stomach.)
Overall, I loved Stir and I've been recommending it to everyone I know, whether or not they are Jewish and/or a foodie. I think everyone can take away some message from the book and apply it to their own life.
Thanks to Avery for the book in exchange for an honest review.
Disclosure of Material Connection:
Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
This sounds good!! Great review!
Great review
This sounds like a great read!
Great review. Adding this book to my list!
If I weren't already reading Stir, I would be heading to it right now! Very nice.
Post a Comment