I went into this first season of Fuller House with a bit of apprehension, since there were so many mixed reviews. However, I ended up enjoying it a lot and laughing from each episode. I even got teary-eyed a few times. It brings back nostalgic feelings from Full House and makes me want to watch that series all over again. (Now that my daughter likes Fuller House, I may need to re-watch the old ones with her.) The cast works well together and the new characters add a lot to each episode. Now that I'm done (even after savoring the season over a few weeks), I already can't wait for season two and it can't get here fast enough!
I am going to share my thoughts on each episode...as much as I can remember as I am watching them. There may be some SPOILERS, so proceed with caution if you haven't watched yet.
Episode 1:
When it opened with the original theme song and credits, I thought I was watching the wrong show. Then it went to "29 Years Later..." Not sure how they calculated time, unless they were going from the beginning. The series ended 21 years ago!
There were a lot of cheesy lines and random nostalgia that got brought up...like they had to cram every joke in as fast as they could. I did enjoy how Stephanie was calling herself DJ Tanner since she's a DJ. I didn't get the whole British accent thing and am glad she lost that quickly, even though it took Kimmy's feet to push her back into her own voice. I did not like her red dress. It made me uncomfortable to look at. I thought she was just going to pop out of it any second and give us all a peep show.
The baby is so cute. I can understand why Becky wouldn't want to let go of him. She seemed a bit overwhelming about it after a while. ("I'll watch your baby until he's in college." Really?!?)
The twins did not need to be there. I'm not talking about the Olsen twins, as I'm glad they are not there and it sounds like Michelle was given a good reason to not be around at all. Not missing her at all. No, I'm talking about Jesse and Becky's offspring, who are equally a few tacos short of a fish taco truck... Why are they even in college if they're not learning anything from it?!? Like how to be adults, perhaps?
I like DJ's kids. Max is so cute and funny. I love how he's trying to be like Danny and how Danny is so proud of him. Jackson is like a male version of the teenage DJ. And need I say it again? Tommy (the baby) is so cute!
I thought I would be happy about Steve being back, but he seems like a pesty neighbor more than a guy I'd want back in DJ's life. Why did they break-up after prom? Was it because DJ didn't want to get married at age 18? Couldn't he have waited for her until after college if he was that interested in still having her in his life? He seems more like Joey with all the childlike antics.
Speaking of Joey, it seems kind of weird that he was back at the house and that he was only there for comic relief. I'm glad he's having success in Vegas, since Tommy doesn't seem to like Mr. Woodchuck. I was laughing when someone said that Joey was 60.
Comet Jr. Jr. Jr....nice. I don't blame DJ for not wanting her kids to have a dog. Lots of responsibility.
I liked that they played a NKOTB song and danced to it for five seconds. Hearing "Forever" again was also nostalgic.
I like how Kimmy has mellowed out a bit. She's still goofy, but motherhood has been good for her. Her ex (or soon to be ex?) is hot. I hope he gets his act together though. I like Ramona too. She's just the right level of snarky.
The innuendos were funny and they definitely went over our kids' heads. I liked Jesse's comment regarding the ship and all the people on it, if you know what I mean...
And yes, I cried. Like when DJ was crying while talking to Tommy and everyone could hear how helpless she admitted to feeling. (I was almost hoping she'd have a Jessie Spano "no time" freak-out though.) Or when Stephanie offered to move in. Or when they all sang the Flintstones song to Tommy and juxtaposed it with them singing it to Michelle back in the 80s.
Episode 2:
If you can get past the fact that DJ seems like she's reading her lines right off an invisible script, the show is a lot of fun. I liked the refrigerator interaction between DJ and Stephanie, like when Stephanie literally spilled the beans. And how DJ's timing with telling Jackson what was going on kept getting thrown off by him finding out some other way.
The funniest part was the phone in the diaper scene. Especially when the baby farted. I also loved Jesse confessing about Becky's cooking on the voicemail message. Third place goes to DJ making the sarcastic comment about Stephanie knowing how to be a parent.
When did the twins' room get so small? And wasn't it on the other side of Jesse and Becky's attic apartment? I could have sworn it was.
I really like Ramona. She's such a great foil for the other characters, even though she does have her nice moments. I love how Kimmy got her into the house by throwing the phone inside. Sounds like something I'd do to my younger son.
For some reason, my sons missed the part in episode one where DJ said her husband died. My older son thought Steve was her husband. Oops. I felt bad having to tell him that the boys' dad died. He gets sad hearing about death and he recently read a book where that happened to a kid's dad.
Episode 3:
I love all the play on words and comedic banter that goes on. I am always into that kind of stuff. There were some great lines in this episode.
Really...why is Joey in town all the way from Vegas to babysit on a Friday night? I wonder if his career has gone downhill and he is not ready to admit it. I did like how he got the kids off screen though. It was also nice to see Ramona and Jackson getting along. It reminded me of the few times I got along well with guys when I was a pre-teen. Max was so cute with his "dark side." Where was the baby though? I don't think Joey could get him to bed that easily. And why did Joey change shirts?
The club stuff was pretty funny. I had this deja vu moment at one point, but I may have just seen something from the previews or a clip that someone had posted. It was when Kimmy got mad at Fernando for having a date there and dancing with her when the other girl wasn't around.
Stephanie is a great dancer. I don't watch Dancing With the Stars, but it may be worth it to watch if she's on next season. She also has a nice singing voice. I forgot that she sang on the show when she was a pre-teen. Like when she and her friends had a band together and tried to perform in the talent show, but they couldn't get their acts together.
If you're going to impress guys, why would you talk about the time you made a hole in your father's bedroom wall and then made up a song to distract him.
I loved the Dirty Dancing part. That was great. I don't know if I can handle a drunk and super talkative DJ though.
Episode 4:
"Erupting my volcano" as an innuendo was hilarious. So glad my older son thinks it just means going to the bathroom.
When I saw the science teacher, my first thought was "Bing! Bing again!"
I wish they had addressed Ramona's new kid difficulties a different way. That kind of anxiety affects a lot of kids and letting them think that getting into trouble will make them cool is not the way to go about it. There could have been a good teaching moment.
I'm glad DJ called Kimmy out on her parenting. I think that if it was outside of her home, she probably could have let things ride their course, but it was setting a bad precedent and she needed to straighten things out. It was hard to feel bad for Kimmy given that her ex-husband is still alive and seems to still want her, even if he shows it in weird ways.
Having said that, they need to address the elephant in the room about DJ's love life. She's going to be working with an attractive young vet who seems interested in her. And Steve clearly expressed interest in the first episode. I'm not really counting the guys at the club as anything more than flirtation and fun dance partners.
I like the guy who is interested in Stephanie and I hope they'll carry along that story arc so that she can eventually come clean about not being a busy single mom. The actor who plays him was on Hindsight last year.
Max was so cute with the dogs!
Episode 5:
Looks like they addressed DJ's elephant in the room. I loved the scene with the blind date and DJ mistaking him for the plumber. That was Three's Company quality!
I had a feeling there would be an issue involving the "magic" scarf. Glad Stephanie resolved it, even though she did it in a weird way.
I felt bad for Stephanie in regards to what she revealed to DJ. However, DJ's reaction seemed so fake that it was hard to get completely emotional from that scene. Tone down the over-acting, DJ!
The part involving Ramona and the toilet was funny. Especially how she tried to pass off the blame on Tommy. Still, who in their right mind flushes a diaper down the toilet?
Overall, it was a good episode. My kids laughed as much as I did.
Episode 6:
I have to give DJ props for being an involved mother and also standing her ground on Jackson's punishment of not going to Lucha Kaboom. And then she tried to backtrack... And he's somehow un-grounded, even though he SNUCK OUT OF THE HOUSE and ALMOST GOT HIMSELF KILLED. Good thing DJ has mama bear wrestling moves. I don't like Jackson's friend much either. At least Kimmy spent most of her time at DJ's house when they were kids instead of the other way around.
I love how Kimmy was stuck in the 90s and how she was jealous of Stephanie. It was nice that Stephanie gave her a chance to bond with Ramona when they danced at the wrestling match. How did Kimmy learn all the moves so quickly though?
Max is so cute, as always.
My daughter watched this episode and she was laughing a few times. Obviously at the line about Stephanie's boobs. (It's a five year-old thing...)
Episode 7:
Too funny with Max training Cosmo on the potty. The zombie stuff was also great and reminded me of my own seven year-old. That kid needs his own TV series.
Why was it Stephanie's problem to keep the party going after the blackout? Wasn't Kimmy the one who planned the whole party?
Fernando reminds me of a younger version of Rogelio from Jane the Virgin. Aside from being attractive, he's also really funny and has a sensitive side too.
Steve would be a way better prospect for DJ if he stopped acting so embarrassingly desperate. He's making me want her to get with the other vet instead.
I liked that they addressed the impact divorce has on kids. That was actually genuine.
Episode 8:
I don't know that Max learned a lesson about not lying. The Danny Tanner of the 80s and 90s would have made it a teaching moment instead of pulling strings to get the fire truck. Still...Max was soooo cute that it's hard to not want to pull strings to get him everything he wants. Cosmo is adorable too.
There were a lot of really funny lines and jokes in this episode (like about the show's name when they were playing poker or talking about reunion shows from a long time ago.) I love how Stephanie got the couch to look the same way after it was re-upholstered. And the couch jacket? That's as tacky as you can get! Too funny how Danny was camouflaged though.
I am enjoying Kimmy and Fernando together. They have some good chemistry. Did I mention that Fernando is hot?
I like the vet guy too. It was cute how DJ ran back and kissed him when he said her name. I love how she and Kimmy were both walking around all smitten. DJ seemed slightly more genuine in this episode...less overacting, which was nice.
Episode 9:
It's cute watching Jackson try to flirt with and impress a girl. I just wish he were more interested in Ramona than in her friend. Ramona is a better personality fit. I love the mix-up involving Max answering the note and eating all the M&M's (and one Skittle).
The misunderstandings about the flowers were funny too. It was cute how Stephanie was still in contact with her first grade husband, Harry. Too bad it wasn't the same actor though. (I checked on IMDB.)
Becky was pretty funny with getting all involved in the flower drama. She was a bit more annoying with spending so much time with Tommy. My husband guessed who the flowers were from and he was right. And I'm glad he was!
Regardless of whether Matt (the vet) sent the flowers or not, it was still pretty creepy that he called all those dentists to see if DJ was there. He's not much better than Steve in that respect.
I think the ending of the episode could have had more impact if DJ felt more believable. I felt worse for Stephanie than I did for DJ.
Episode 10:
There were a lot of funny moments in this episode. I can't really feel sorry for DJ at all right now. She has TWO guys interested in her. Such a difficult life... ;) The best part was when she made them kiss at the end. My daughter was acting that out with her stuffed animals. :)
Max was so cute at the game and I'm glad he was able to get a ball at the end.
I was a bit annoyed with the whole Jackson and Lola courtship. I don't like Lola. She's so manipulative. He needs to be with Ramona! I felt bad for her that she got ditched during the game. I'm glad he got in trouble over buying the shirt on Matt's credit card. That was such a lame thing to do.
I'm glad Stephanie publicly broke up with the baseball player. I don't see where the attraction is. I'd rather Darren come back and then she is forced to get real with him about not actually being a single mother. (Okay...it's because the actor is from Hindsight, but still!!!)
Episode 11:
I had a feeling Dr. Harmon was going to play the nepotism card. I also had a feeling Matt would ask DJ to partner with him. I was right about both.
So funny how Max was blackmailing Jackson and Ramona. He's more devious than I thought. ;) I love how he saved up all that money though. It was funny in the beginning when he took Tommy into the bathroom since Tommy was covered in all the toilet paper.
I wonder if anything more is going to happen with DJ and Steve.
The idea of Kimmy and Stephanie partnering is fun to explore. They seem to have an interesting balance. The part with the cow in the kitchen was hilarious. I love how everyone kept blaming Kimmy. The going away party for Dr. Harmon was great aesthetically and I loved the dancing. Apparently people were offended by it, but I didn't see it being offensive. They were dressed in pretty outfits and the dances looked accurate based on what I've seen in other shows.
Episode 12:
This was just a really cute episode overall. I loved all the stuff with Max not wanting to lose. Reminds me of my kids. The Twister re-match was funny.
I loved Fernando's scavenger hunt for Kimmy. And it had such an interesting twist at the end. Plus, the part with Stephanie singing to Kimmy was hilarious.
Steve and DJ trying to relive the 90s was great too. And yes, I caught the Alanis Morissette comment. It was awkward having to listen to them sing together, but the kiss at the end made it worth it. Steve has been a lot more like his old self instead of the desperate pathetic version of himself from earlier in the season. It is tough for DJ to choose between the two, but right now I'm on #TeamSteve too.
Episode 13:
This episode was bittersweet in some ways. Knowing that it's the last until next year, for starters. Also thinking that Kimmy and Ramona are going to move out.
It was funny how Kimmy and Stephanie were being so devious about inviting the guys to be DJ's date at the wedding. I can imagine that it must have been hard to choose between both of them. I'm glad she made the choice that she did. And I love how Steve and Matt ended up bonding as a result.
I also liked when they kept speeding up the wedding every time Kimmy thought she could go through with it. I guess I need to know more of Fernando and Kimmy's marriage in the past to know why DJ is against them getting back together. Fernando is hot, funny, and romantic, but I don't know that he is the right match for Kimmy. I think she needs something more. I'm glad she decided to stay with DJ in the end.
Some of the stuff with Jesse and Becky was weird. Like they're all romantic and in love, but then Becky ditches Jesse to go out with the girls and later to spend time with the baby. It was cute how the baby took Jesse's burger.
I liked the song Stephanie sang at the wedding. It was funny how everyone was looking at each other and they had Joey and Mr. Woodchuck giving each other glances at the end of the song. The only one missing from this episode was Danny. It seemed weird that he wasn't there.
Max was really cute with the Lord of the Rings stuff and how he was disappointed that he didn't get to do all that much during the ceremony. I also love how he called himself "Max Money" at the end.
DJ mellowed out a lot by the end of this season and seemed more natural than she did at the beginning.
Closing this post with the theme song (and I still think they say "even MTV" instead of "evening TV").
Thursday, March 17, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am going to start watching, maybe even today! and then I will come back and read your post!
Love this!
I think they say 29 years, from the start of the show, which I think was 1988? I thought that was a little strange, too. Has it really been that long? When Jessie mentions how long he's been married to Becky, that throws me for a loop, too. Such a long time, and neither of them have aged a bit! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's yet another show we can discuss. :)
I never liked this show when it was on, and it was ALWAYS on. Haha.
I'm still holding out for that Whedon-Buffy reunion.
I really liked Fuller House. I'm so glad it's been renewed. My kids like it too so it's something we watch together.
Post a Comment