We will be posting bi-weekly as life keeps getting in the way.
This week, Darwin Shrugged chose the topic: Write about two people with whom you would love to sit down and have a meal. One must be living, and one must not. To make it easier, do not write about any family members.
First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic. I will be only posting links to posts on this same topic from my group. So check back if you were hoping to read their blogs and don't see a link yet.
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock
So when this topic came up, I immediately thought of Lin to be the living person with whom I’d want to dine. Heck, I’d be happy just to have a quick cup of coffee (café con leche, perhaps) or tea, in my case, with him. And along with that, the dead person I’d want “In the Room” with us is none other than Jonathan Larson, who is one of Lin’s incredible inspirations. Again, if you know me, you’ll know that Jonathan is the creator of Rent. Unfortunately, he died way too young (younger than I am now) 20 years ago, on the night before Rent was supposed to open off-Broadway. He made something truly amazing and was not around to see it, bask in the "[One Song:] Glory," or receive his much deserved Tony award. Social media wasn’t prevalent back then, so he didn’t miss the accolades on that end.
I’d love for Jonathan to come back to life (or perhaps as a ghost) for this opportunity to be surrounded by greatness. Once I am able to speak in coherent sentences, I’d want to ask both Jonathan and Lin what it was like to write such legendary musicals that have such a huge fan-base. I’d want to know about the highs and lows of the experience. What it was like to work with the talented actors in their shows. Why they chose to focus on certain aspects. What their favorite song is. So many things to ask in such little time!
After the meal, Lin would treat both Jonathan and me to a private performance of Hamilton. (A girl can dream!) Then we’d all head to Marie’s Crisis Café (can you tell that I love going there after only one visit?!?) for a late night sing-along to just songs from both their musicals.
"Hey, what a way to spend a day!"
In relation to this special experience, here are some fun treats.
A recent video of the “Schuyler Sisters” (Renée Elise Goldsberry, Lexi Lawson, and Jasmine Cephas Jones) performing “Out Tonight” from Rent:
A video from a while back of Lin, Karen Olivo (Vanessa from the Original Broadway Cast of In the Heights) and Leslie Odom, Jr. (Aaron Burr, sir) performing scenes from Tick…Tick…Boom:
Okieriete Onaodowan "Oak" (Mulligan/Madison) performing "Over the Moon":
Finally, my dream Rent cast starring actors from Hamilton:
Mimi: Jasmine Cephas Jones or Lexi Lawson
Roger: Lin (obviously!!!)
Mark: Jonathan Groff
Benny: Leslie Odom, Jr. or Christopher Jackson
Joanne: Renée Elise Goldsberry
Maureen: Phillipa Soo or Mandy Gonzalez
Collins: Daveed Diggs or Okieriete Onaodowan
Angel: Anthony Ramos


5 comments:
Melissa, thank you for having that fine man be the first picture that greeted me when I opened up my blog feed this morning. :)
Rent was always my favorite...I know I'd love Hamilton but I haven't gotten to hear the music yet!
You're right, I *sort* of had an idea of whom you'd choose. And I totally snickered about the song coming on. WITCHY! Sounds like that would be your dream day for sure!
That sounds like it would be such a wonderful time!
How fun. I really want to see Hamilton! Maybe one day. Years down the line when I can actually get tickets, ha.
Post a Comment