Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Where's the "Party"?

Right here, apparently!


I had been curious to watch Search Party, knowing that it starred Alia Shawkat, who played Maeby on Arrested Development. Little did I know about all the other celebrities who would be on the show...or how addictive it would be. Only 10 episodes?!? I hope there will be a second season!

Search Party is snarky, to say the least. It has the feel of Curb Your Enthusiasm for the twenty-something NY crowd. However, there's also an element of mystery and intrigue.

I couldn't take my eyes off Alia, who played Dory on this show...a much more intense character than Maeby. I loved her hair and only wish mine would behave as well as hers did. She had such an interesting fashion style. Modest, for the most part, and somewhat vintage. All in all, Alia is an amazing actress and I hope she'll be in more TV shows and movies going forward. She's one to watch, for sure!

The all-star supporting cast includes Ron Livingston, Christine Taylor, Rosie Perez, Parker Posey, Michael Showalter (if you've seen Wet Hot American Summer, you know exactly who he is), and William Ragsdale, whom I haven't seen since Herman's Head (at least from what I remember). I even recognized the girl who played Janice on Odd Mom Out from one of the episodes (her name is Sas Goldberg). There are also some lesser known celebrities, with whom I've had personal encounters....


Marcy Harriell, who played Vanessa when I saw In the Heights on Broadway (and who now does some songs on the Moana soundtrack) played a small role on one of the more bizarre episodes. She has quite the laugh. And yes, her hair is just the same as in this picture (from 2009), which rivals Alia's hair.

Franca Vercelloni, who was playing piano and leading the songs my one and only time at Marie's Crisis, also had a small speaking role on a later episode in the series. I was telling my friend who went to Marie's with me that he and I are the only ones who would appreciate this casting choice! I'm obviously just a face in the crowd to her, as it's been a year and a half since I was last at Marie's, but she definitely stands out to me!

The "main" supporting cast was also fun to watch, even though my husband and I thought Drew was a total man-baby and that Elliot looked like Alan Tudyk (Wash from Firefly). Portia is adorable and reminds me of a cross between Reese Witherspoon and Brittany Snow, with some Hillary Duff tossed in for good measure.

Finally, there's the music. I love the music that accompanies the few seconds when they show the name of the series. There's not a full theme song or intro, just some cool background music that fits the feel of the show. (It's the fourth song on this page, at about 30 seconds in.)

Anyway, the series is just full of wild twists and surprises, as well as jump out of your seat moments! Definitely stick around for the final episode, which has a crazy ending that I did not see coming at all! It's very well-written and acted. If you didn't see the link at the top of the post (until now, at least), you can watch either clean (although I'm not sure how much) or explicit episodes on the TBS website. I dare you not to get sucked in and binge watch the entire 10 episodes in one sitting. Enjoy!

If you're still not convinced, check out the trailer (they switched out one of the actors though):



No comments: