Friday, February 16, 2018

"Something Rotten" this way comes....



Originally, when I heard that Something Rotten was about Shakespeare, I had zero interest in seeing it. Then some friends told me they loved it and I found out Adam Pascal was playing the role of the famous bard, so I decided to see it when it came to my neck of the woods....and I'm so glad I did!

A few months ago, I talked about my experience seeing The Book of Mormon and how I had gone in expecting to laugh the entire time and was let down. Well, that did NOT happen this time! I didn't go in with huge expectations of the humor involved, just that it was going to be entertaining and fun. However, my embarrassingly loud laugh came out to play many, many times! There are so many clever lines and funny song and dance numbers. The innuendos are to die for (thankfully most of them went over my son's head). If you're a fan of musical theater, you will get most, if not all, of the references to Broadway shows. (Some are just way too obvious, so it's hard to miss them.)

I only really knew of two of the performers in this production. One is obviously Adam Pascal. He's just as gorgeous and talented as he was in 1996 when he premiered in Rent (not that I saw him in it, but I have seen pictures and he was in the movie). He's also great with comedic acting. I did not expect that from him. The other is Autumn Hurlbert, who I saw 10 years ago in Legally Blonde: The Search for the Next Elle Woods. I wanted her to win the coveted role on Broadway and was so disappointed when she didn't. And seeing her as Portia confirmed this for me. She was so cute and funny, with a great vocal range. She reminded me of a cross between Kristin Chenoweth and Laura Bell Bundy.

Other standout performances are awarded to Rob McClure, Maggie Lakis, Blake Hammond, and Jeff Brooks. Rob McClure played Nick Bottom and was a lot of fun to watch. He reminded me of Ed Helms in some ways. Maggie Lakis, who is Rob McClure's wife, played Nick's wife Bea. She had a strong singing voice and fabulous comedic talent. I enjoyed watching her. Blake Hammond played Nostradamus and he practically stole the show. He was hilarious! And Jeff Brooks played Shylock really well and had me cracking up with all the Jewish references.

The stage had a lot of great settings that were able to be pulled apart and moved around. I loved how it looked when Nick went to see Nostradamus. The stage was darker and the signs looked like they were glowing. The costumes were also great and fit well with the time period. Shakespeare's costume was very imaginative. The combination of stage and set design along with costumes made me want to go back to the Renaissance Faire.

As for the songs, here are my top favorites:
1. A Musical
2. Right Hand Man
3. Bottom's Gonna Be On Top
4. Hard To Be Bard
5. Something Rotten/Make An Omelette
6. G-d I Hate Shakespeare

Listen for yourself if you want to know way.... (links are to the songs from the original Broadway cast recording).

Overall, it was a fantastic, funny, fabulous, funny, flamboyant, funny production. If it comes to a town near you, definitely go and see it. I would say the right age for kids is around pre-teen. There are some grown-up references that you might not want little ones being privy to!

Due to the late hour and having to catch a train home to relieve our sitter, we did not stay after to meet the cast. While I'm a bit dismayed, I did get to meet Adam Pascal back in 2001, so there's that.


However, I'm happy that I got to enjoy the show with two (out of three) of my favorite guys!


And one of my favorite lines? "My religion is theater!" (Said by Shylock. I may have to use that one sometime, or see if I can find it on a shirt.)

Okay...that's all now. Go see Something Rotten for yourselves!

No comments: