![]() |
| Courtesy of Entertainment Weekly |
My family* and I (minus our daughter, who is way too young) recently finished watching The Politician on Netflix. I had heard some mixed reviews for it and decided to try it anyway, since it was created by Ryan Murphy of Glee fame. I wasn't sure how much I'd like it, but as soon as I finished the first episode, I knew I wanted more. So much is conveyed in this short series of eight episodes. From what I've heard, there will be a second season and I'm already anticipating what will happen. Not only did each episode have a cliffhanger, but the finale set things up so that it would be impossible to end on that note altogether.
There is so much to love about this series. The cast works together so well. The casting of the characters is done so perfectly that I can't even imagine anyone else playing their roles. Some characters are so ridiculous that they are like caricatures. However, that makes them even more fun to watch. It's campy, given that most of the characters are wealthy and have these opulent homes and lifestyles. It's a nail biter throughout and I easily found myself getting worried for some of the characters. Anyway, check out the trailer and then see some of my (spoiler-free) reasons for why I love this show.
*Yes, we let our 11 year-old watch it, but he really enjoyed it and most of the racy humor went over his head. The rest he knows not to repeat.
Check out the trailer:
1. The music. There's a score that is constantly running through the series and it still gets into my head. It almost has the feel of a showdown. Also, Ben Platt sings a few times, so that's awesome too.
2. Infinity Jackson, played by Lea Thompson's daughter, Zoey Deutch. She lights up the screen every time she's on and she's so much fun to watch. Her child-like voice adds to her essence.
3. The way the characters play off each other and interact. Everyone is a backstabber in some way or another.
4. Guest actors, such as Dylan McDermott (who has not aged at all), January Jones (whom I didn't even recognize), Judith Light, Bette Midler, and Martina Navratilova.
5. Very imaginative and creative throughout.
6. It's humorous. All the quirkiness just makes it that much funnier. The humor is dark and outlandish, but it works so well for this show.
7. Marie's Crisis Café is featured in one of the episodes, even though the inside looks totally different.
8. It's just so well put together from beginning to end. I ended up liking characters I was supposed to hate.
9. River's dimple. That's all I need to say.
![]() |
| Courtesy of IMDb |
If you have not watched The Politician yet, what are you waiting for? If you have, please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.


No comments:
Post a Comment