This week's [Fiction] Friday post theme: Strains of Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry Be Happy” floated into the room.
"A Blast from the Past"
Manhattan
January 7th, 2005
When Andrew Fisher first stepped into The DeLorean, he was overwhelmed by all the 80's paraphernalia at the decade themed bar. He should have expected as much, with it being named after the time machine in "Back to the Future." Tonight was apparently movie night, as they were showing "Cocktail" on a huge screen in the back and strains of Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry Be Happy” floated into the room. He ordered a Coors and made his way to the group intently watching the film.
A few seats away from him, he spied a Molly Ringwald look-alike who was sitting heavily focused on the screen. He couldn't stop staring at her and wanted to approach her, but didn't know how. Sensing a pair of eyes on her, she turned around and focused right in his direction instead.
"Can I help you?"
"Um, no, I was just, um...never mind."
"Good. Can I get back to the movie now?"
"Okay, but first tell me, does everyone here dress like actors from the 80's?"
"Nope. I work here though and my shift just ended. Did you see the Ferris Bueller guy? That's my boss. He's very protective of his staff and will kick you out if you cause any trouble."
"That's cool. I'll leave you alone now." He made his way back to the tables set up in the front."
"Come back here! I was only kidding. Can I get you another drink? I didn't mean to freak you out. My name's Elaine, by the way."
"Andrew. I'm in my second year at veterinary school in Boston. I'm on my winter break now, staying at my aunt's place on 85th and Amsterdam."
"Well, Andrew, I live right over that way. Want to catch a train back together after the movie? I hate riding alone at night."
Then time seemed to speed up. He saw his first kiss with Elaine after their first real date. Another flash and she was visiting him at his flat in Boston. The months seemed to fly by and he felt like he was truly in love. And then he saw himself visiting Elaine in June to surprise her after his exams ended. He saw her walking out of her apartment building with another man's arm around her, leaning in close to him. He saw them heading to what looked like an office building, which should have been closed at night. A sign on the window said Randall Shipp, D.D.S.. He saw them getting very intimate inside one of the exam rooms. An even larger flash had him standing there with a lit match and a container of gasoline. And then he saw himself on the road that headed toward California.
Lou woke up a hot and sweaty mess. He went to the bathroom to take a shower and try to rid himself of the terrible memory that he saw in all his dreams. It was the night he said goodbye to Elaine--and to Andrew Fisher--for good.
This is a continuation from my posts on June 25th, July 2nd and July 9th....in case you want to go back to the beginning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Great backstory on your MC. It's interesting to see what happens in someone's past to make them the way they are today.
I have to admit, I'm a little worried about Cat now. In your earlier posts it seemed that the pair were going to be very happy together, now I'm not so sure.
Keep it up, Melissa. I'm interested to see where this story is going. You weren't kidding about heading toward the dark side this week.
Looks like he's wiser than you'd know at first glance. Of course, I'm dropping into this brand new and all...
I was going a completely different direction, definitely not where you led me. It felt a little creepy with everyone in the place looking like somebody from the 80's.
Good job.
From Veterinary school to fugitive, what a change. The consciousness working through his dreams, he'll never escape his past crimes. Good story.
Went back for a quick skim of the previous installments.
Liking the continuation and interested to see where it is headed.
And the idea of an 80's inspired bar - I'd so live there.
Adam B @revhappiness
I read the 4 previous stories too... I love the way you've carried it through, giving us more and more. Looking forward to the next one!
Post a Comment