There's this episode of "Seinfeld," where they talk about certain weekdays having a "feel." They said that Tuesday didn't have a feel. I can sort of agree with that. It's the day before the middle of the week and if "Glee" is not new, it's just not exciting. In that respect, I think that January is the only month of the year that doesn't really have a "feel." August comes close and would probably pass by in a blur if I didn't know so many people with birthdays that month. However, January just seems dull and gray all the time and feels like it's going to go on forever. The only thing I look forward to is having a day off mid-month for Martin Luther King day. (That, and the 50% off sale at Value Village in honor of MLK day.) I know Tu B'Shevat is in January most of the time, but it's not my favorite holiday by any means and I don't like most fruits. I've only ever done something for Tu B'Shevat once and that was last year. I know they have stuff going on this weekend from our shul, but I am not motivated to participate. It's a "new year for trees" in Israel. While that's all nice and special, the trees here look like dead limbs because it's winter and it's hard to get excited about trees in other countries. I'm sure Tu B'Shevat is way more exciting and fun in Israel. January just feels like a month to get through in order to reach February. I think it's because the winter holiday excitement is over and everyone is back in their regular routines.
I recently asked an author I interviewed (for Chick Lit Central) what she liked most about January. I was looking for inspiration. Her answer was "snow." We're supposed to get snow tonight and I'm actually hoping it will stick this time. I was actually excited to see snow on Saturday, and then it disappeared as quickly as it arrived. I don't mind a few inches that the kids can play in, and possibly a snow day, as long as there's no "Snowmageddon" this year.
I don't mind having time to lay low for a while. I'm getting to rest up for when the baby arrives (b'shaah tovah) and read lots of books. There's not much pressure to shop right now, other than for necessities. I just hope that in the future, I can create or find something to make January more fun and interesting overall. 'Til then, just counting the days 'til February (20 to go...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment