Friday, July 8, 2011

Funny Friday-7/8/11-"That's nice...MOM!"

During my college years, I got into "Mystery Science Theater 3000," also known as "MST3K." It started with a friend from "Rocky Horror" introducing me to "Manos, Hands of Fate." (Oddly enough, I was watching an old episode of "How I Met Your Mother" and this movie was referenced as the worst film ever made.) I think there were some other movies on that same video he gave me. In college, I found friends who also liked the show and we'd get together to watch it. It's a show about this guy trapped on a spaceship and forced to watch cheesy movies with two robots. Then they would act out scenes during the few little breaks they had.

MST3K is like "Rocky Horror" in that people (or robots) are making fun of the movie as it is playing. The timing has to be just right for the most part, in order for it to really be funny. There are some classic jokes though. What I remember standing out most during my MST3K phase was "Mr. B Natural." I saw it quite a few times with my college friends and we'd joke about it a lot. I wanted to share it with you today.



Side note: If "Mr. B Natural" were modernized, I could totally see Chris Colfer (Kurt from "Glee") playing the musical boy-wonder. I know the part was originally played by a woman, but he has the impish face and the voice to pull off the role perfectly.

As an homage to this show, my friends and I would have "bad movie nights" where we'd make fun of movies that were MST3K worthy. One was "Jack Frost," about a snowman that kills people. There was another movie called "Pin," based on the novel by Andrew Neiderman. The acting was so bad it would have been a crime not to make fun of it.

Nowadays, my husband and I will make snide remarks during movies. It enhances the movie watching experience for us. Even if we like the movie, we'll still comment the whole time. I guess old habits are hard to break. (And he didn't even watch MST3K during its prime!) There were times I'd come up with a witty line and my husband would be cracking up. He's also made me laugh with his lines. I think it would be fun to bring back the "bad movie nights" even in a different town. Maybe there will be friends out here who would enjoy making fun of cheesy films too. One can only hope...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you can't find friends, don't forget there's always Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic with cast members from MST3k. The next Rifftrax live is in mid-August at a theater near you!