As I was driving home from work the other night, I heard the song "Online" by Brad Paisley. This is the first time I ever recall hearing it, but I immediately thought "this is my new theme song!"
I have a confession to make. Like the chorus of the song says...I'm so much cooler online. It's like I have this other persona that takes over as soon as I log into Facebook. Like I could really start a book group and connect with authors if I had to do it all in person. (Not like it would even be that easy with everyone all over the place.) A few weeks ago, I went to visit the Hillel at a local university as part of a work seminar. For one of the activities, we all had to go around campus and engage students in conversation. It was like asking me to dive into the pool in swim class (which I managed to skip out on and never get caught). Thankfully, we got to partner up with someone and my partner was the ultimate guru when it comes to chatting up strangers. She even won us T-shirts, thanks to her conversational prowess. I tried to connect with people a few times, but felt so awkward! If I were to do a task like this online, I would have approached it the same way I just approach authors to do interviews at my blog. Piece. Of. Cake!
In general, I'm more self-conscious in front of people than I am online. If I were to approach a group of people, even those I know well, I wouldn't have much to say. I manage to let everyone else dominate the conversations. I also manage to hide behind my kids' clinginess at shul. If I'm watching over them, I have an excuse not to mingle. I will admit that I'm more comfortable approaching someone at shul than in a random public setting. I try to make new members feel welcome. However, trying to project my voice in a crowded and loud social hall takes a lot of effort.
I usually sound awkward when I talk, like I'm tripping over my words. I hate recording outgoing voice messages and even leaving messages for other people. I'm not a phone person either. I very much prefer being able to compose a message to someone and sound all witty and competent.
Then there's the matter of appearance. I rarely ever change my profile picture. I am lucky if I can find a relatively cute picture of myself to share on Facebook. Usually, I end up behind the camera more often than in front of it. My profile picture does not show how frizzy my hair can get or how hard it is to find an outfit that looks as nice on me as it does on the hanger.(And don't even get me started on finding a matching head covering on Shabbat.) As I'm writing this, I'm in a pair of pajama pants and my "Honey Badger" T-shirt that's bleached out on top. My complexion and weight could definitely use some work, as well.
I sing....like all the time. Well, not at work, but in the car, shower, while cooking, while putting the kids to bed, etc. I don't even know if I sound that great each time, but I sing to my heart's content. Lately, it has been Les Miz songs, in honor of the movie coming out soon.
Finally, I've mentioned this before and I'll say it again...I enjoy geek humor. That just says it all!
I still am me online. However, I'm just a cooler, more confident and even funnier version of myself. And cuter too. Let's not forget that!
I'll leave you with the video of the song that inspired this "confession." I love that Jason Alexander and some other actors from Seinfeld are in this. Maureen McCormick (a.k.a. Marcia Brady) and William Shatner also make appearances. And I could just watch Brad Paisley anytime. :) (Yes, that's another thing...I prefer guys like Brad Paisley over guys like Channing Tatum.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Regardless, I think you are a pretty awesome person! ;)
Post a Comment