Monday, November 5, 2012

The elephant and donkey in the room

Whenever there’s a talent contest that accumulates in one person taking the title, I am usually filled with nervous energy and anticipation in the final moments before the ultimate winner is announced. My heart beats really fast, my palms sweat, I am on the edge of my seat. I felt this way especially during the Legally Blonde auditions on MTV, the American Idol finals with Adam Lambert and season two of The Glee Project. I also anticipate feeling this way on Election day, when the fate of the country will once again be decided by who is elected as President.

I'm not a political person at all whatsoever. It's even surprising to me that I chose to live by the most political city in the US, leaving behind a lifestyle of seeing Broadway shows. I only really know what I hear from other people, in news articles and in campaign ads. I didn't watch any of the debates, as I had the Cliff Notes version through Facebook. I don’t air my political views on social media sites. I think the most I did on Facebook was mention the PBS issue. (Sorry, but I have kids!) I think that based on a recent blog project post I did about which President I’d want to meet, it’s pretty clear who I am voting for. Having said that, I am not going to comment on your Facebook page if you are voting for the other candidate. I don’t see the need to slam them to your face (…book friends). If you are supporting my candidate choice or mentioning distaste for their opponent, you’ll get a “like” from me and possibly a supportive comment. However, I’m NOT telling you who to vote for. I don’t know everyone’s political views, nor do I ask unless I feel it’s important for further discussions or so that I don’t offend them.

I realized recently that I never discussed politics with my husband, nor did I even ask him who he was voting for. I was hoping that we would agree since we’re so alike in so many ways, and was both relieved and thrilled when he blatantly announced the views that were so aligned with mine. I do have to wonder what it’s like in homes where couples disagree politically. Do they talk about their reasons? Or is it that elephant in the room (pardon the political pun)? Has a relationship or a friendship ever been affected by opposing political viewpoints? Lisa Ling asked a similar question on Facebook recently.

With all the back and forth campaigning going on, I feel like the girl in this video. I will admit I love the ads that support my candidate choice. However, the ads supporting the other candidate make me grit my teeth and want to smack someone. I get so annoyed by them! I won’t give details as I don’t want to start debates, but they just eat at me. Then there are all the back and forth ads about senators, governors, mayors, etc. (I don't even know which is which. Sad, huh?) There are also the ads about certain laws that we need to vote on.

This election feels more intense than past elections. Maybe it's because I live so close to where all the action is this time. Even so, it feels like the candidates are so completely different and there are so many people voting on either side, it could be a tight race. I know I’ll be biting my nails with fervor until the results are announced. And I will be up front right now that if the other candidate wins, I will be a grumpy girl the next day. However, if my candidate wins, I’ll bring treats in to work to celebrate!

I strongly encourage everyone to vote if you live in the United States and are eligible. This is a huge election and every vote counts! (Of course, if you're voting for my candidate, I EXTRA strongly encourage you....)

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Very well written! I've enjoyed our conversations about politics over the past couple of weeks. :)

Jeryl M. said...

Usually for me, it's just a case of one guy is slightly better or slightly worse than the other guy. This time it really matters. It seems like there is so much more at stake for so many people this election. More so than ever before.