Thursday, January 30, 2014

Not sold on the cell idea

Our blog project group has once again changed by one member, but I'm still calling it Blog Project 3.0. The newest member is Darwin Shrugged, a friend of Froggie's. I recently got to know her better through "52 Stories" and I look forward to what she has to say on the upcoming topics.

This week, Moma Rock chose the topic: Some airlines allow it. Others don't. What's your take on airlines allowing cell phone usage while in-flight? Are you for it, or against it?

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic:
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

On a recent episode of The Mindy Project, Mindy had her phone on and was texting while they were flying to L.A.. When Danny saw that her phone was still on, he got all freaked out. (I think he has some airplane anxieties anyway.) Apparently, the airline they used allowed cell phone usage while in flight.

To answer Moma Rock's question, I am iffy on the idea. I personally think that cell phones should just be used for emergencies while in-flight. Otherwise, I don't see why you can't tell people that you're getting on a plane and will be unreachable by phone for a few hours. If you have an important conference call, schedule it around the time of your flight. Or schedule your flight to be at a different time from your call, if you know well enough in advance. If something comes up that's out of your control, how are you going to handle it while flying anyway? It's not like you can make the plane speed up to get to your destination earlier.

If airlines allow cell phone usage while in-flight, I feel like any chance of relaxing is not going to be possible. When I travel, I like to read. It would be really hard to concentrate if everyone and their mother is talking on the phone at the same time, just because they're allowed to. Maybe there should be a phone-free zone if that's going to be the case. Like there will be a section for first class separated by a curtain. Then a section for people who want to talk on their phone separated by another curtain. That way, those of us who don't want to deal with being connected 24/7 can read, sleep, watch the in-flight movie, or have our beverage and tiny bag of peanuts or pretzels without being disturbed.

That's all I really have to say on this topic.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I had considered that, as well. Usually when I fly, it's my reading time, or listening to music time. Unless I've got the kids with me. Then there's no time. LOL. Great post!

Janine said...

It would drive me crazy to be stuck sitting by someone who had to talk on the phone all the time. Plus, the ones who have to play games that make a lot of nose bother me too. Not too long ago, we were eating dinner at a restaurant and the entire family was on the phone at the same time. While some did what ever they did, text, Facebook one of the kids had a game on and all the noise got on my nerves. Though I love my phone and couldn't live without it, I do miss the quiet days we used to have before cell phones.