Friday, February 14, 2014

Book Review: Orphan Train

I have to admit that I initially wasn't interested in reading a novel about children riding on a train to a place where they might be adopted and have to live and work on a farm. Then my mom and sister told me they really liked it and when someone suggested it for our next book club read, I remembered those recommendations and decided to give it a chance. I am SO glad I did!

Nearly eighteen, Molly Ayer knows she has one last chance. Just months from "aging out" of the child welfare system, and close to being kicked out of her foster home, a community service position helping an elderly woman clean out her home is the only thing keeping her out of juvie and worse.

Vivian Daly has lived a quiet life on the coast of Maine. But in her attic, hidden in trunks, are vestiges of a turbulent past. As she helps Vivian sort through her possessions and memories, Molly discovers that she and Vivian aren't as different as they seem to be. A young Irish immigrant orphaned in New York City, Vivian was put on a train to the Midwest with hundreds of other children whose destinies would be determined by luck and chance.

The closer Molly grows to Vivian, the more she discovers parallels to her own life. A Penobscot Indian, she, too, is an outsider being raised by strangers, and she, too, has unanswered questions about the past. As her emotional barriers begin to crumble, Molly discovers that she has the power to help Vivian find answers to mysteries that have haunted her for her entire life - answers that will ultimately free them both. (Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads.)

It's not often that I personally thank someone for suggesting a book to our book club. Then again, my suggestions were the ones being chosen over the past few months. The last time I did though, was for The Night Circus. When I recently saw the woman from our book club who suggested Orphan Train, I thanked her multiple times for the excuse to read such a fabulous book. I don't need an excuse to read in general, but given that most of my focus is on chick lit, it's nice to step outside the genre from time to time. Book club gives me a reason to do this. I don't think of Orphan Train as chick lit as much as general fiction or women's fiction.

I wish books like this were around when I was in school for possible required reading. There's an element of history woven in throughout the story, but it never feels boring or burdensome. It just enhances the feel of the story and makes me think that it was written as a memoir. I was amazed by how well researched it was. The detail is rich and allows for easy visualization. The dialogue is genuine throughout and there's an ebb and flow of tension and comfort. I found it easy to sympathize with and relate to both Molly and Vivian, even if they were nowhere close in age to me. I especially found it intriguing to try to figure out how Vivian got her name since she started out as Niamh (pronounced "Neev") Power.

There was nothing I didn't like about this book. While some parts felt a bit predictable and some connections felt a bit forced, it wasn't over the top.  I liked where she went with the story, even though some parts were sad or disturbing.

I would definitely recommend Orphan Train to anyone who wants a terrific and well-written book to read and to other book clubs, as there is plenty to discuss. I can't wait to discuss it with my book club soon!

More by Christina Baker Kline:


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful review.

I definitely agree with you...this book was great. I really loved it. My book club would have a great discussion.

I actually wasn't aware this was something that really happened. I am so glad I read it.

NICE BLOG. THANKS for sharing.

Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved April Edition. I am in the list as #28. My book entry is below.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Entry