My kids tend to complain about how bored they are when they don't get to play on the computer. I told my older son that I barely played on the computer as a kid and even when I did, we didn't have the Internet. We just had these pixelated games on floppy disks that would repeat the same questions over and over. And, of course, Print Shop. Then I told him that his grandparents didn't have computers at all and they still found ways to have fun. He replied with "That was in the 1620s." Yes, my parents were Pilgrims. In any case, I've decided to put together a list of the things I did for fun that didn't involve playing on the computer or watching TV (or even playing Nintendo, back in the day).
*Drawing pictures
*Coloring in coloring books
*Reading (thankfully, my kids like to read too)
*Making up dance routines
*Putting together jigsaw puzzles
*Playing Barbies (and later making clothes for them after I learned how to sew)
*Having birthday parties for my Cabbage Patch Kids
*Going to the playground (of course, it was right behind my house so that was a given)
*Playing on my swingset (something I need to get my kids)
*Recording radio shows on my cassette player
*Helping my mom bake cakes and cookies
*Riding my bike around the neighborhood (once I learned how)
*Taking the dog on walks (not that this will even be an option anymore)
*Sledding down a big hill in the winter
*Going to the neighborhood pool or my grandma's pool in the summer
*Playing "Ghost in the Graveyard" with the neighborhood kids
*Writing letters to my pen pals
*Making up songs or song parodies
*Acting out favorite movies with my sister (usually "Annie" or "The Parent Trap")
*Making friendship bracelets
*Pretending to go camping and hiding out in my closet with a fake campfire made of flashlights
*Having sleepover parties with my friends
*Playing restaurant and even going as far as creating a menu
*Playing board games
*Blowing bubbles
*Drawing on the driveway or back patio with chalk
*Putting together obstacle courses in the basement, inspired by Double Dare (no sundae slides though...)
*Making goofy videos with my sister and friends
*Learning how to hula hoop
*Roller skating either at a rink or in the basement
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I was just talking about this with B the other day! His life revolves around the computer, even with me setting limits on how long he can be on it. Yesterday we were super busy and there wasn't much time for the computer. I said, "Now, wasn't that a lot more fun than sitting in front of a computer all day?" And he reluctantly agreed! This was a great list- I'd forgotten a lot of those from my own childhood. I'll need to incorporate some of those into what we do during the summer break. Thanks! :)
I did so much of this too!
I'm glad my kids still play outside a lot.
We grew up in the middle of no where and HAD to find our own entertainment. We were huge into bike riding and (oh my this is going to date me!) watch the neighbor boys break dance. We had lots of fields around us so we'd pick flowers or wild grown berries (black, rasp and straw)
One of my favorite games to play was shadow tag. The grown ups would have a bon fire going on in the back yard and if we weren't playing on our home-made playground equipment (including a pole stuck in the ground with a plank of wood that we could bounce up & down on and spin in circles which we called the roter-totter, a HUGE old tractor tire buried in the ground used as a climbing device) we'd chase each other around the adjoining yards, trying to tag each other's shadows made by the setting sun or the roaring fire.
My older sister and I had a most enjoyable dastard game we'd play in winter... we had a wood fireplace and wrought iron hand rail and we'd put on our footie pajamas and scuff our feet and chase each other down and either try to give a nice fat electric shock or trick the other into touching the iron work.
Post a Comment