Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Curse of the Non-Ghosts

Sometimes I only get the chance to blog once a week. And since I can't always get up the motivation to think of a topic, it's nice to have other friends to blog with so we can take turns. I enjoy being challenged to write about stuff that might not normally come to mind and also reading everyone else's thoughts on the same topic. Blog Project 3.0 has been going on for about a year now, even though one of the group members changed after a few months. I love blogging with this group and I hope we can continue to inspire each other.

This week Darwin Shrugged chose the topic: Ghosts

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic:
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

Darwin Shrugged certainly has good psychic timing with her topics. When she suggested "Ghosts," I just happened to be reading Haunted Ever After by Juliet Madison. It's like a cross between Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella and the movie Over Her Dead Body starring Eva Longoria (based on what I saw from previews). I'm enjoying it so far, but it reminds me how I have had absolutely no encounters with spirits from another realm. I sometimes hear noises in my house, but can't imagine that it would be haunted. Honestly, when I first was given this topic, I thought of two funny stories that hint at ghosts, but don't quite get to that level.

When I was at overnight camp with my BFF, some other girls in our cabin made a Ouija board and decided to see if they could channel any spirits. It was the middle of the afternoon and we were all sitting in our counselor's side of the cabin while a couple of the girls were trying to communicate with someone from above. At one point, it felt like they were getting somewhere and then we heard a loud voice say "HELLO EVERYBODY!" We were all freaked out! I think everyone screamed. Then we realized it was someone announcing that it was time for dinner. Such crazy timing, right?!?

About a year later, I was babysitting for the kids I regularly looked after on Saturday nights. One night, I kept hearing a kid yell "Mommy, Mommy!" When I went to check on the kids, they were either sound asleep or laying there calmly trying to settle down for the night. I asked the older kid if he was calling for his mom and he denied it. I kept hearing the voice though. I finally figured out it was coming through the baby monitor and shut it off. I figured I'd just check on the kids every so often. When the parents got home, I explained what happened and they said that the monitor was switched to another channel and picking up signals from a neighbor. Still...pretty scary at the time!

While those are fun and harmless stories, I got to thinking about the other ghosts who haunt me. These are also non-ghosts, as they are still alive, as far as I know. However, they are no longer a part of my life, nor am I a part of theirs. I don't need to get into reasons, but that's just how it is with some people. They still find ways to get to me, such as visiting me in my dreams, being around on social media, having doppelgangers in other towns, etc. Either it's because of unresolved issues as to why we're not connected anymore or things just ended badly and couldn't be fixed no matter what. All I know is that these people still manage to haunt me, no matter how hard I try to get them completely out of my mind. I don't have room for them in my mind to begin with and am not sure why they still try to make their presence known when it's not welcome. It's times like these that I wish I could do something similar to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. However, I wouldn't want to forget other little details from the time periods when I knew these people, such as books I read, movies I watched, other friends I hung out with, etc. I just hope that we can all make peace on this realm so that they can finally exit my subconscious once and for all.

There are some people in my life who have passed on already and I wouldn't mind being haunted by them, especially my late maternal grandma and my late paternal grandpa. I figure this would be the best way for them to see what I've been up to and meet their namesakes. If that ever happened, I would just want them appearing as young and vibrant again.

July, 1998: Late maternal grandma at left and
late paternal grandpa standing next to me

Do you have any ghosts...or non-ghosts?


5 comments:

Denise K. said...

LOVE this. My sister's baby monitor used to pick up her neighbor's cordless phone conversations -- and they were GOOD. I'd forgotten about that until now! I'm glad you "got" what I meant about ghosts, that they can be spirits but they can also be memories. etc. And, yes, so funny we both mentioned our grandparents!

Sara said...

I think when we have unresolved issues with someone, they can certainly "haunt" us. I've been haunted by quite a few people in that respect, even though I wish they'd go away! Great post!!!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Eek.

I've never seen a ghost before, but my Mom has. Sometimes I feel a presence, and I tell the presence not to show themselves or else I'll scream at the top of my lungs. I guess it believes me.

Janine said...

Nani (the cat I lost 2 years ago) comes to visit me from time to time. I will feel her walk across the bed. I know it's her because no cat is around. The, at times I hear her crying while the other cats are all asleep.

Anonymous said...

Great post, thanks for reading Haunted Ever After!
I've had a few spooky encounters in my life which is probably why I like to write about ghosts. ;)
That's freaky about the baby monitor!! I'm glad my neighbours don't have babies!