Friday, August 14, 2015

S'mores, anyone?

Paul Rudd. Amy Poehler. Chris Pine. Elizabeth Banks. Bradley Cooper. Michael Cera. John Slattery. Molly Shannon. Jon Hamm. Jason Schwartzman. Kristen Wiig. Josh Charles. David Hyde Pierce. Janeane Garofalo. Christopher Meloni. Weird Al.

What do all these celebrities have in common? They were all part of one entertaining miniseries called Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp. This series was developed 14 years after the movie came out, which actually took place on the last day of camp. It became a cult classic after a while, which is why Michael Showalter and David Wain decided to write this miniseries. Even though the original movie came out in 2001, the same actors returned in their same roles in 2015. I had to keep checking to make sure it was actually filmed this year because everyone managed to look the same as they did back then. Not sure how that was possible, but I'm guessing good make-up helped.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, watch it first and then come back for this series. Both are really funny, but you have to be a fan of satire with a side of raunchiness. (Think Airplane! here.)

Movie trailer:


Miniseries trailer:




My thoughts--including SPOILERS:

*Is Abby a counselor or a camper? She was a camper in the miniseries, but the movie shows her as a counselor. It was funny how she was this immature kid who hated boys and then after she got her first period, she became a boy-crazy teenager.

*I HATE Drew. Hate, hate, hate, HATE him! I'm a grown woman and am somehow letting a 12 year old bully get under my skin. That's how awful he is. I feel so bad for Kevin for having to deal with him, and it's just the first day. If my kids ever have to deal with a little sh-t like Drew, I will not be held responsible for my own actions. Even though he was being a bit nicer the next day, I still don't trust him.

*Kevin is adorable with the curls and I hope Amy changes her mind about him throughout the summer. They'd be so cute together.

*Apparently, Coop lost a lot of weight over one summer. I also wonder when he developed an interest in Katie. (Although he was glancing at her at the end of the final episode.) I generally find Coop annoying, even with the nice guy act going on, but I did appreciate that he stood up for himself when Donna was pushing things too far. However, I was shipping Donna and Yaron and wondering when Coop would take the hint.

*Speaking of Donna, Lake Bell did an awesome job in this role. She just owned the part. I love when Donna gives shofars to everyone at camp and tells them all the same thing about the shofar's meaning.

(Side note: Three actors from this miniseries, including Lake Bell, were in this movie called In A World, which is about a voice-over competition.)

*I loved the chemistry between McKinley and Ben.

*It's funny how we learn where the talking can of vegetables came from.

*I love the whole story line about Jonas being Gene and then Jeff interrupting Gene and Gail's wedding.

*It was funny how no one seemed to notice that Arty was in the radio cabin all day and night. Not sure why someone else needed to be his voice though. Why didn't they just give Samm Levine the part all the way? If 40 year-olds can play 16 year-olds, then someone in their 30s could play a 13 year-old.

*The scene where Victor is buying protection and then is embarrassed over a price check on a key chain was hilarious. It was a fun twist that Victor was a virgin when he was trying to be such a ladies' man. I also love when Victor is outsmarting Gene.

*Josh Charles did not age well. He was so cute in the 90s (like in Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead).

*It was nice to see Janeane Garofalo again. I haven't seen her in anything in a long time. She's been in a lot of TV shows and movies, just nothing I've watched. She's aged nicely though.

*I love how Electro City turned into this big Broadway production in just a few hours. Even so, it made me think of something Christopher Guest would put together in a mockumentary.

*The scene with Neil putting aftershave on his nether region was super uncomfortable to watch. I also did not need to see the diaphragm exchange between Lindsay and the nurse.

*I loved the fight scene between Gene and the Falcon. Also funny that they ended up actually being friends to begin with and that the Falcon couldn't explain why he was a bad guy.

*Elizabeth Banks was great as Lindsay. It was funny that she was trying to make herself look 16 when everyone else was pretty much adults trying to look like teenagers again.

*The finale was hilarious. However, since it's obviously the first day or so of camp and the movie takes place on the last day, it would be fun to see what happens during the time between.

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp was an addictive show and I hope there will be another miniseries as a follow up in the near future. And now I want to see the movie again.

If you've watched this show (if you got to this point, you probably have, unless you like spoilers), please comment with your thoughts....favorite characters, scenes, what was funniest to you, what didn't work so well, etc.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

They all did look pretty much the same! There were some parts that were so crazy like the toxic waste. I agree about Josh Charles. With Abby, I asked my husband the same thing. I said to him "Isn't she a camper, not a counselor?"

AiringMyLaundry said...

I want to start watching this! Looks hilarious.

Sara said...

I skipped past the spoilers, because I am totally going to watch the movie and the show!