Thursday, September 17, 2015

No more remakes!!!

Did you miss us? Blog Project 3.0 was on hiatus for a few months, but now we're back! This group has been going on for about two years, even though one of the group members changed after a few months. I love blogging with this group and I hope we can continue to inspire each other.

This week, I chose the topic: What are FIVE movies that should never, ever, EVER be re-made? (Talk about why for each of them.)

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic. I will be only posting links to posts on this same topic from my group. So check back if you were hoping to read their blogs and don't see a link yet.

Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

I am not a fan of movie remakes. I will admit to having seen a few, but I usually refuse. I think the only one I enjoyed was Freaky Friday with Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis. I actually cried at the end! Last year, I wrote about why I refused to see the remake of Annie. Turns out, I was validated by everyone who saw it telling me how terrible it was. I recently heard about some 90s movies that were potentially going to be re-made: Jumanji and The Craft. So ridiculous that this even needs to happen! I also heard about a Roadhouse remake. I only saw that movie once, but still...

If I had to choose five movies that should never be remade, these are the ones that come to mind:

*The Princess Bride: This movie just can NOT be re-made for any reason whatsoever. Without Andre the Giant, any remake would be a "giant" flop! It's the cast that truly makes this movie amazing. Mandy Patinkin became best known for his famous Inigo Montoya line. See my tribute from last year to see why I think a remake of this classic film would be downright criminal.

Really, the movie is still alive and kicking and everyone (or mostly everyone) loves it, so why would anyone "wish" to replace it?




*Clueless: Proof that teenagers can survive without--gasp!--iPhones. It would just be so wrong to try to re-make a 20 year old movie that is still revered as a major piece of pop culture. No one could pull off Cher the way Alicia Silverstone can. There was a TV series about the movie, but I think it flopped because Alicia wasn't Cher. Also, the soundtrack totally makes the movie what it is. There's that 90s blend of pop and grunge.

Check out the trailer for some fun nostalgia:


Oddly enough, Wallace Shawn was in the first two movies I listed!

*Dirty Dancing: As I was thinking about this movie, "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" came on my Pandora station. What are the odds, right? There was a remake in the works, but it's either been cancelled or on the back burner. That's a relief, at least. There's something to be said about it taking place in the 1960s and the simplistic feel of the time, where going off dancing with a hot guy on the resort staff was seen as taboo. Also, with Jennifer Grey's new face and Patrick Swayze being dead for the last six years (as of this past Monday), it would be dishonorable to them to have new actors in similar roles. Just make a different dance movie, for crying out loud. Don't ruin a good thing!

This scene always gives me the good kind of chills. Sorry if it's a spoiler, but why haven't you seen this movie by now?!?


*The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Apparently, there is a remake in the works. However, I think it's being done as more of a tribute. Not sure how anyone will pull this off. As with the other movies I mentioned, the actors are such a huge part of what makes the original so special and something you can't replicate. No offense to some awesome guys I've seen in local stage show casts, but NO ONE can play Frank N. Furter the way Tim Curry did. I repeat: NO ONE. Not even Mercedes from Glee. (Was that some Victor/Victoria thing?) The other whole point of it is the 1970s B-movie cheesiness. There's a reason it became a cult film. Even if you try to remake it as a B-movie, it just won't have the same feel. It's a product of its own time.

Time Warp with me:


And speaking of time, last but not least...

*Back to the Future: A recurring fear of mine is that now that 30 years have passed since the original Back to the Future hit theaters, someone is going to try to remake it to start in 2015 and have someone go back to 1985. That's as bad as trying to do a new version of Home Alone without Macaulay Culkin. (Yet another movie that doesn't need a remake.) There's the essence of technology and a certain feel for the different time periods that makes Back to the Future so incredible. Remaking it for a new generation would be an embarrassment to the legacy given to us by Robert Zemeckis. At least he's against the idea too! He'd better find a way to become immortal...
See my tribute to Back to the Future right here.

For a trip "back in time," watch the original trailer:


And if you want a time travel movie about people who go back to the 1980s, watch Hot Tub Time Machine.

What are the top five movies on YOUR list?

5 comments:

Janine said...

I'm not a fan of remakes either

Samantha said...

The Clueless tv show was cute! I used to watch it all the time.
Also, the new Annie was garbage. We didn't need a back beat in Tomorrow, Jay Z. Just no.
How about that remake of Fright Night with Colin Ferrell?? Trassssshhhh. He will never be Chris Sarandon. And no Roddy McDowell...the whole thing was just criminal.

Denise K. said...

I was fairly certain The Princess Bride and Rocky Horror would be on your list. I agree with Rocky Horror, simply because of Tim Curry and Barry Bostwick. I am not really a movie person, but some things are sacred, and your list nails many of them! If it ain't broke ... ;)

AiringMyLaundry said...

I so agree with you! Especially on The Princess Bride.

Sara said...

All of the movies you've listed, I can't imagine anyone doing a remake with them! I didn't even think of Clueless, but man, no one else could fill those shoes! The original cast was superb.