This week, I chose the topic: After seeing this post about a woman who drew everything that was on her mind, I want to know...what's on your mind?
First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic. I will be only posting links to posts on this same topic from my group. So check back if you were hoping to read their blogs and don't see a link yet.
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock
Oddly enough, recently I saw a different post related to the mind and drawings, as well as to a recent topic we discussed.
First of all, I can relate to this woman, as I have so much running through my head at all times. However, that's been causing a big problem for me. You see, I can memorize the entire soundtrack of Rent ("another time, another place, our temperatures would climb, we'd be in outer space...") and tell you which year certain movies came out and which celebrities were in them (Little Shop of Horrors, starring Rick Moranis and Ellen Greene, is celebrating 30 years at the end of 2016), but if you ask me to do something, chances are that I'm going to forget about it ten seconds later. (Ten-Second Tom has nothing on me!)
As I was saying, if you ask me to do something, chances are that I'm going to forget about it ten seconds later. ;) It was bad enough that someone at work asked for something (minor, thankfully) yesterday and it took me a whole day to remember that she asked me for it. If I don't write it down or e-mail myself a reminder or put it in my calendar, it ends up completely disappearing from the huge canvas that is my mind. I kept forgetting to write this post! I even forget what I was going to tell someone if I get distracted or interrupted. I worry that I'm going to become like my late maternal grandmother and leave notes and lists all over the house. It's bad enough that I am constantly e-mailing reminders to myself.
Having said all this, here is just some of the stuff that is currently going through my mind, distracting me from what I need to get done:
*My never-ending TBR pile.
*Stuff I need to get done for my book blog, along with new ideas for posts.
*People I owe e-mail replies to.
*Random songs running through my head.
*When I'm going to get to watch more of The Goldbergs.
*What to do for my daughter's upcoming birthday.
*Excitement about seeing In the Heights again soon, even though it's a college production.
*Speaking of In the Heights, trying to learn the story of Hamilton to understand the songs better. (Which circles back to the songs playing in my head.)
*All the movies I want my kids to see.
*Stuff that needs to get fixed around the house but keeps getting put off.
*Laundry. Washing, drying, and folding.
*Signing the kids up for camp (the full registration process)
*Figuring out what the kids are going to do the rest of the summer.
*All the e-mail I still need to sort through.
*Organizing around the house.
*How hard it is to resist a thrift store sale but that I shouldn't go because of all the stuff I need to clean out and donate first.
*Random noises around the house that make me edgy sometimes.
*The stuff on the Internet that distracts me (articles, movie trailers, funny videos, memes, etc.)
*Trying to figure out what else is on my mind that is relevant enough to add to this list.
*How to plan out my errands.
For the most part, my mind feels like those "If you give/take..." books.
Of course, this one is me all the way. And the book is so funny too!
What's on YOUR mind?



5 comments:
I have to write things down all the time too. I have a horrible memory. I end up with little sticky notes all over my computer area.
I have this theory, where, there's only so much room in our brains, and once we've reached full capacity, stuff starts falling out. Which is why I end up forgetting so many things, things I've retained for a quite some time, and then POOF! It's gone. Like you, I need to write it all down. Otherwise, it's forgotten. It's nice to know I'm not alone. :) Great post!
I have a long list too. I also need to figure out what all we're doing during the summer AND I need to get rid of some crap since we're moving. Plus I want more time to read. And watch things. And do errands.
I just need more time, basically.
OMG, Sara, I say the same thing! We can only process so much and something has got to give. Melissa, I've long told you how impressed I am at how together you are, so lists or no lists, you're doing well!
You only THINK it is bad now.. Wait until you are my age and you write the things down, circle them, text them to yourself, email them, and still forget them while you're trying to figure out what the hell you can possibly throw together for dinner because you forgot to take something out of the freezer again and you have Adele singing in your head while you're writing a memoir in your head at the same time because you DO remember what happened in June of 1962. All day you remember it while you're looking around for that piece of paper you wrote the important stuff down on and then circled it so you wouldn't forget. Where is my pen??????? I know that paper can't be far behind........wonder how Gorton's frozen fish fillets would taste with canned sauerkraut and a salad? Oh, never mind, we had that last night. I forgot.
Post a Comment