This week, Moma Rock chose the topic: Should anyone have the right to dictate what we wear in public?
First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic. I will be only posting links to posts on this same topic from my group. So check back if you were hoping to read their blogs and don't see a link yet.
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock
This topic was based off an article about a school that is banning parents from wearing pajamas to drop off their kids at school.
Between you and me, as long as the parent gets their kid safely to school and is kind and loving to them, they could wear their birthday suit to drop-off for all I care! Well, that's an exaggeration. I wouldn't want to see anyone wearing that! I just think there are bigger battles to fight than expecting parents to dress a certain way to drop their kids off at school. The only thing that stood out was how we should be role models for our kids. Why should they have to get dressed if we're going to stay in our pajamas all morning? I guess it also hasn't been an issue for me since I get dressed at the same time they do and the bus takes them to school.
The last time I wore pajamas in public (outside of Halloween) was when I went to my early morning class (early being 8:00 a.m.) in college. Even back then, "pajamas" meant flannel pants, a T-shirt, a flannel shirt on top of it, and a baseball cap. It excused me from having to shower before my first class. And most people on campus did the same thing.
In any case, I think freedom of dress is the same as any other freedom, as long as it's not hurting anyone. However, there are some places that will have rules on how to dress, such as restaurants that don't serve people who don't wear a shirt and shoes. (Really, why would you go out to eat without a shirt and barefoot? That defies all logic to me.)
I know that office attire is another area where there are restrictions. Being presentable to clients reflects upon the company or organization. I'll admit that I got the "Bridget Jones" lecture in the past. And it was only after I had worn the same dress several times without it coming to anyone's attention. (I wouldn't have minded Mark Darcy giving me such a lecture...not Daniel Cleaver though. Have you seen the first movie?!?) In my case, the lecture came from a woman. Mind you, the dress wasn't THAT short. At least it didn't feel that way to me until someone pointed it out. It wasn't like my behind was peeking out. I usually try to dress modestly, so I was definitely self-conscious after someone brought it up. Since then, I have not worn the "offending" dress to the office and have stuck with skirts that come down to my knee, at the shortest.
Shul is another place where there are restrictions on how to dress...at least in the Orthodox sect. My best friend and I were recently discussing something she heard about that was news to me...that women shouldn't wear the color red because it is seen as tempting to men. I never knew that was even an issue. I don't know how much red I even own, but I don't see how the color would be tempting if it's worn in a modest way. And I've seen a lot of modest fashion rules bent at my shul anyway. Women are starting to do away with hair coverings, as well. I don't feel ready to do that at shul yet, even though I go the whole week without covering my hair. I guess that as long as all the men at the shul don't ditch their wives for a woman who wears a red dress and doesn't wear a hat or sheitel, then so be it.
This topic made me think of this time that a close friend of mine got kicked out of a Jewish youth group retreat because she refused to change a shirt she was wearing because it had the F-word on it. I was so upset after she got kicked out. We were all teenagers and could handle the word, but some higher-ups didn't like it so much. She had the opportunity to change it, but she wanted to stand her ground with freedom of speech and expression. She's still very strong in her beliefs and principles and I love her for that. I probably would have caved had I been in her shoes.
Overall, I think it really depends on the place and situation in terms of how to dress. While I don't see pajamas being a problem at school drop-off or morning class in college, they're not going to work so well at the office. I think there are definitely societal expectations on what to wear vs. whether it will impact one's health or safety. This topic has a lot of gray area and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it, as well.
Anyway, you could always go hang out with Kenny Chesney and wear whatever you want....


4 comments:
I have heard that about the color red, but I don't know that most people follow that belief - maybe only the super ultra orthodox, but they don't really wear any colors anyway!
Somethings bother me when I see them. Of course I believe in age appropriate clothing and how mothers should dress a certain way to influence respectability in their children and other people. I'm sure I will ruffle a few feathers with this. Women of a certain age should dress their age. I am in my 50s and I see women my age still dressing in clothes bought in the junior section of stores like they are still 19. It makes them look desperate. I shouldn't say this either, but I will. Yesterday I saw a picture of one of my nieces on Facebook and was shocked. Apparently she got a boob job. She was wearing a dress with a top that wasn't much more than a bra top that she might have worn prior to the boob job. She was all hanging out of it. She has a young son and that kind of clothing just made me think badly of her. I know she never grew up and still likes to go out to clubs and pick up men. But the picture made me lose more respect for her. It bothers me to see people in their pajamas and slippers around town (especially restaurants). It doesn't take that much effort to put on clothes and shoes. That being said, I am headed to Walmart this morning to do my grocery shopping. I can only imagine the people I will see there.
We think along the same lines, re: this topic. I also think as long as what you're wearing doesn't hurt anyone else (or yourself), it's not a big deal. I hope my kids know there's a lot more to me, than what I choose to wear when I drop them off at school!
I personally could not wear my pajamas out in public. I feel weird. But I don't care if others do it. Although that's sort of a lie, if I see someone in pajamas shopping, I'm all ???
Post a Comment