Monday, November 27, 2017

Movie Review: Wonder

About four years ago, I read R.J. Palacio's hit novel Wonder and loved every page of it. I even got to meet R.J. at Book Expo America a few months later and she was very nice. So I was thrilled to find out that Wonder was being made into a movie. (And that Daveed Diggs was going to be in it, since I'm a huge Hamilton fan.) The first time I saw the trailer (and the next few times after that), I could not keep from crying. And after hearing rave reviews for the movie over the past week, I was excited to finally see it in the theater. It definitely lived up to the rave reviews and my expectations. I loved it as much as, if not more than, the book!

Before I go on, watch the trailer. I dare you to not shed a tear!

Warning...there may be some spoilers in my review below, but nothing too major that it will keep you from seeing the movie.





I wasn't a fan of Jacob Tremblay when he was in Room, but he was perfect as Auggie. I know there are people who think someone who was actually born with craniofacial disabilities should have been cast in the role, but only in an ideal world (which we have yet to see happen), would this have really been possible. One of my friends said (on a Facebook thread about this issue): "I definitely think Hollywood needs to make a good faith effort to cast appropriately, but sometimes you just can't." Another person commented on the same thread by saying how Hollywood glamorizes everything. I agree that it would be nice to have someone who actually has been in Auggie's shoes play the part, but I also feel Jacob did an incredible job. He portrayed Auggie sensitively. I didn't feel like he was playing into some kind of stereotype or poking fun at anyone who actually lives full-time with the face he wears as a mask. It reminded me of how Eric Stoltz (who also does not have craniofacial disabilities) played the lead role in Mask (1985). I haven't actually seen the entire movie, but I never heard about any casting complaints in relation to that movie either. Was it because it was grittier than Wonder? I guess someone who has seen Mask could tell me their thoughts. In any case, as Auggie, Jacob displayed a full range of feelings from anger to fear to sadness, while also laughing and joking with his friends. If you would like some more insight from someone who really is in Auggie's shoes, check out this blog post. It's long, but well worth the read. Maybe you'll agree with what she says and maybe you won't, but that definitely leaves room for discussion either way.

As for everything else about the movie....I felt the story followed the novel pretty well. I know there were parts left out and parts added in, but I didn't miss the parts that weren't there. Maybe because I forgot about them. (I did notice that Summer's point of view wasn't shared in the movie.) I really like that there was some focus on Auggie's parents and their thoughts and feelings. It was something I had hoped for from the book that had never materialized. In the book, each character gets their own section and it starts back at the beginning. In the movie, there are times when a character's point-of-view is introduced and they go back to the beginning a bit, but then they catch up and move onward. Then we see Auggie's point of view again before switching to another character. In some ways, this lengthens the movie a bit too much, but it still makes the story worthwhile. It was interesting to see the impact Auggie's presence had on Via's life; how his needs always came first and she was left in the background. She and Auggie still had a good sibling relationship and I enjoyed seeing that play out.

The acting was great overall. There was a strong ensemble cast of well-known actors and newcomers that worked well together to make this movie the hit that it is. There are a lot of messages a viewer can get from the story and a lot of it depends on age and personal experiences. My six year-old enjoyed it as much as I did, even if she only understood it on a basic level. While I still feel that the overall message is too idealistic (I mentioned this in my book review), it never hurts to be kind to someone else, no matter who they are, what they look like, etc. You never know what someone else is dealing with. That was something that stuck out from the movie, when Via is telling Auggie that she also had a hard day when he felt like he held the monopoly on hard days. She told him that if he wanted to have a normal life, it wasn't going to be easy. They also showed how Via's best friend seemed to have it all together on the outside, but her life was far from perfect. I also liked that kids were friends with Auggie because they wanted to be around him, not because someone was making them be nice to him. He was kind to other kids, but also protected himself from being hurt. He wasn't afraid to stand up for himself either.

Overall, it is a sweet movie that is family friendly, or even to see on your own just to have a good cry. And yes, I cried. (Bring tissues!!!) It's also just worth seeing it to hear "Inigo Montoya" say "tuchus." :) (Yes, there are plenty of other funny lines and moments to balance out the emotional ones.)

3 comments:

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

We saw it on Friday and really enjoyed it. My older kids have read the book and my youngest hasn't, but they all liked the movie.

The Book Sage said...

Well said, Melissa. I felt there was a lot to learn from this movie...for all of us. Hopefully this makes everybody more aware of looking past the physical to what's underneath.

leonel said...

I think it's an underrated gem, and I cried watching.
It even got a make up nomination today from The Academy.