Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Thoughts on Stranger Things 2

First of all...there will be spoilers. If you have not seen Stranger Things (both seasons) and still want to, please do not read any further. If you're still on the fence, read my post from last year (spoiler free).

If you've binged season two and want to re-live it vicariously, you've come to the right place. I'll be sharing a bunch of random thoughts I had throughout the season. It was definitely a more emotional season overall, but I'll get more into that soon. I really liked it, despite all the scary and disturbing parts. I've been going through withdrawal ever since I finished watching this season.


*It was so nice to see Eleven again and to know she was okay. The surprise element was that she had been living with Hopper for the past year. It was interesting to see how she got from destroying the Demogorgon to living in the woods to Hopper finding her and keeping her at his home.

*I loved the chemistry between Nancy and Jonathan. I was so happy when they finally realized their attraction to one another, even though it was at that strange man's house.

*Speaking of which, who was the strange man Nancy and Jonathan were working with and how did he know who they were? I'm glad he carried through their plan to contact the media about Barb's disappearance.

*And speaking of Barb, I'm glad her family finally got some closure, even if it wasn't the complete truth. They probably would have been traumatized even further if they knew what really happened.

*The 80's product placement is fun. I enjoyed seeing old wrappers from certain snack foods. It gave off an even more authentic feel.

*There were so many creepy moments that just left me reeling. Like when Dart is eating the cat and then turns to look at Dustin and he's suddenly a Demogorgon. Or whenever the thing that was taking over Will's body had an intense reaction to heat and fire. And, of course, the Demogorgons getting into the laboratory building and killing everyone, including Bob.

*Even though it's sad what happened to Bob, I was shipping Joyce and Hopper the whole time. Sorry, Bob! I hope Joyce and Hopper get together in season three.

*It's terrible what happened to Eleven's mom and I was hoping that Eleven could help unlock her from wherever her mind has gone. I still have hope for that to happen in season three.

*The emotional level of the show is a lot stronger. I was brought to the brink of tears many times and even cried once at the end of an episode. There was Will, who felt bad about himself because he couldn't keep his demons under control. Will reminded me a lot of my younger son, so it was extra disturbing when he was going through all the physical trauma. Mike missed Eleven a lot and at one point talked about how lonely he was until Will became his best friend. Just seeing his reaction to Eleven's return was priceless. The connection between Nancy and Jonathan was so elevated that I felt this emotional investment in their relationship. I  even got misty-eyed from the last 15 minutes of the finale. Especially when those girls were all snobby toward Dustin and how Eleven showed up for Mike. And then there's this.

*The story line of another girl from the lab was interesting. There was one whole episode devoted to Eleven spending time with her and trying to punish someone for hurting her mom. I am iffy on this episode, as it was interesting, but it didn't really move the story along....unless more kids from the lab will be found in season three.

*Dart was super creepy and I was mad at Dustin for taking him in. It only benefited everyone at one point on the finale. However, where did the other Demodogs come from?

*I liked Max a lot. I wasn't sure if I would, but she was cool. I hated her step-brother, Billy. He was so skeevy. Like he was a Rob Lowe from St. Elmo's Fire wannabe, but not as nice. However, I love how Max put Billy in his place and it was interesting to learn why Billy acted the way he did. It was funny when he was flirting with Mike and Nancy's mom. I wonder what Billy meant about it being Max's fault that they had to move from California to Indiana. Unless he was just being a jerk because of his new family situation.

*Despite taking on a creepy disgusting monster slug creature as a pet, I still love Dustin. Especially with his "pearls." And that hairstyle at the way end? So awesome!

*Even though I didn't like Nancy with Steve, I have to admit he was pretty cool this season.

*There will be a season three, right? Perhaps Eleven can use her mind powers to make that happen.

1 comment:

AiringMyLaundry said...

I'm sure you already know this, but yes, there WILL be a season 3. Sadly, I don't think it'll air until 2019. Whine!

I'm not sure if she's Jane now. But she'll always be Eleven to me. And I'm curious if Eight will return. Probably. And there must be others. Maybe Four shows up in season 3? ;)