Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"One...Singular Sensation..."

Last night, a friend came over to watch "A Chorus Line." Watching it took me back a couple of decades. The first time I saw this movie, I was in 4th grade. I was spending the night at a friend's house and we both liked musical theater a lot. I remember that we both thought "Dance Ten, Looks Three" was hilarious because it had swear words in the song. (Pretty tame ones in this day and age!) I fell in love with the movie and watched it again with my family, thus possibly corrupting my sister, who was six years old at the time. Our favorite character was Cassie and we later named our new kitten after her. Later that year, all I wanted for Hanukkah was the soundtrack. My parents got me the one for the stage musical though. Then they bought me the movie version and gave the stage version to my grandparents.

I later revisited the soundtrack when "Jack" and I were hanging out and playing it in my car a lot. We'd both sing along. I still have it on cassette somewhere in my house and I take it out from time to time. It probably gets as much play time as my "Little Shop of Horrors" movie soundtrack (which I also love but tend to ignore because it's on cassette).

Watching the movie last night made me think of things that never entered my mind before. I didn't care about the dialogue as a kid, just the music and dancing. The dialogue makes more sense to me as an adult. I was even crying during Sheila's part of "At the Ballet" because it made sense. (I used to think that her mother dug earrings out of a car to steal them.) Some parts were even funnier because of what I know as an adult. It had an "American Idol"/"So You Think You Can Dance" appeal and also made me think of the "Legally Blonde" auditions on MTV. There's also the fact that "One" was played more in the last half of the movie than "That Thing You Do" was played during the entire movie with the same name. I got sick of it after a while. It's not even that great of a song, compared to some of the others in the movie.

The other thing I noticed was that the singing talent was way off. Average, at best. I think my favorite song was "Nothing" because the actress who performed it was the only one with a really strong voice. Also, the characters would say they were in their 20's and they looked way older. It made the "Beverly Hills 90210" casting seem so much more normal. So, it got me thinking that of all the movies that could possibly be remade, I wouldn't flinch if it were "A Chorus Line." (But if Hollywood even considers "Little Shop of Horrors," I will be furious!) I even came up with my own dream cast, including a few people from "Glee" and a few people from Broadway....

Zach: Matthew Morrison. I think he could play the role really well.
Cassie: Autumn Hurlbert from "Legally Blonde: The Search for the Next Elle Woods." I can't even imagine anyone else in the role!
Val: Kristin Chenoweth. She could pull of "Dance Ten..." with no problem!
Sheila: Idina Menzel. I think her personality and voice would fit the role well.
Mark: (The one who thought he had gonorrhea) Chris Colfer. Right age along with a personality that could make this part of the movie even funnier. Oh, and if I don't cast him, a certain friend of mine will kill me!
Bibi: Miley Cyrus. As much as I don't like her, I think she'd work well in this role.)
Maggie: Lea Michele. She plays someone who didn't know her mom while growing up, so she could easily play someone who didn't know her dad. And I love her singing voice!
Diana Morales: Karen Olivo from "In the Heights" and "West Side Story" on Broadway. Also, Eden Espinosa, who has been in "Wicked" and "Rent" on Broadway. Both have great voices and stage presence.
Paul: Robin de Jesus from "Camp" and "In the Heights." After seeing him in "Camp," I know he could add something similar for this part.

I couldn't think of anyone to play the other roles. (And I call myself the "Pop Culture Queen"...) Please feel free to share any casting ideas you have.

No comments: