Sorry I've been absent lately. The Jewish holiday season has been busy and I haven't been inspired to write in a while, as a result. I realized that I missed writing about Lou and Cat's story and wanted to keep it going.
This week's [Fiction] Friday topic: "Lonely in Paradise."
This is a continuation from my posts on June 25th, July 2nd, July 9th, August 6th and August 20th....in case you want to go back to the beginning.
"Harden my Heart"
Cat started heading toward the strip, looking at all the brightly lit hotels and casinos as she had to continuously stop at each traffic signal and also yield to wayward pedestrians who didn't know how to use a crosswalk. She felt herself starting to nod off and opened her windows to get some fresh air. She didn't think she would make it back to California, the way she was feeling.
Just then, her cell phone rang.
"Desi? What's up?"
"Cat, was that you I saw at Wild Notes? Only you know how to rock out on 'Harden my Heart.'"
"Yes, that was me. I can't believe you saw it!"
"Loved the performance, babe! Are you still in Vegas?"
"I was heading back to Cali, but I was thinking of staying another night, maybe crashing at a nicer hotel this time."
"Listen, I'm at the Paradise Hotel with some of my girlfriends for a bachelorette party. Want to join us?"
"I could manage that. See you in ten."
Cat put down her phone and grinned, thinking of Desiree "Desi" Swann and the last time they hung out together. Of course, it was during her stripper days, the days she didn't want to tell Lou about. Maybe Lou had somehow found out and that's why he got upset at the karaoke bar and left. She didn't know if it was worth analyzing Lou's motives right now, as she was all prepared to party the night away with one of her best friends.
The inside of the Paradise Hotel and Casino looked like an island. It reminded her of "Lost," which reminded her of one of her first connections to Lou. Get that boy out of your head, girl! She wanted to slap herself for getting all teary-eyed looking at the lobby of a new hotel. Her original plan was going to be dinner, karaoke and then some quiet, but steamy, romantic time with Lou back at the motel. Maybe even with a bubble bath, if the tub wasn't too disgusting. Apparently, that didn't happen, aside from the karaoke. And now she was at the Paradise hotel, looking all sweaty and disheveled from a long evening. Plus, she stuck out like a sore thumb in her hot pink shirt and white pleather skirt with her six-inch black Louboutins. Everyone else seemed to be wearing black or muted tones, including the group of girls who, led by Desi, came to greet her.
"CAAAAAAT!" Desi ran to her and hugged her tightly. She reeked of vodka, clove cigarettes and perfume.
"It's so good to see you again, Dez. I missed you! So, where are we off to?"
"We're going to hang around the hotel bar for a little while till the stripper gets here." Then we'll all be going back up to the room for a little show. But, shh, don't tell Mia."
Cat glanced over at the petite blonde wearing the bridal veil decorated with plastic male genitalia. She looked completely wasted and doubted she would be surprised by any strippers, if she didn't hit on them first.
"Um, sounds fun! Hook me up with a Cosmopolitan." She figured that sounded cooler than just having another beer.
Just then, "Harden my Heart" started playing on the overhead speakers in the bar.
"Cat! It's your song! You should sing again! Encore!"
Cat lightly smacked Desi on the shoulder. "I don't think your friends want me to sing. They'd rather have a stripper dancing to this song."
"Whatever. Here's your Cosmo."
Cat practically inhaled the drink, willing herself not to think of Lou anymore and just enjoy the girl time. Not that anyone aside from Desi was even talking to her. She probably could have snuck off to bed unnoticed, since Desi had even joined her friends to do some shots.
She then spotted a woman sitting quietly in the corner of the bar. She had short, reddish hair and her face looked like it had been severely burned or disfigured. She wondered if the woman was as lonely as she was, if not more. Cat decided to join her. Maybe misery does love company.
"Sorry if my friends, if you can even call them that, are being too loud. I can try to get them upstairs if they're bothering you."
The woman looked startled and nearly fell off her barstool. "Oh. I almost didn't see you. I was kind of spacing out for a few minutes. I guess I have low tolerance for alcohol these days. No one is bothering me, but thanks."
"So, what brings you to Vegas?"
"It's a long story. Apparently, my ex-boyfriend is hiding out somewhere in Vegas. My brother was here on vacation and spotted him with a stripper. He thought I should come down and look for him myself. I have nothing better to do anyway."
"Fascinating. I was here with a guy I was seeing but then he freaked out on me and left. Now I'm just killing time with an old friend before heading back to California."
"Men suck, don't they?"
"Why do you care so much about finding your ex-boyfriend? Or did he just become your ex because you think he might be seeing a stripper on the sly?"
"It's more complicated than that. I don't know if I want to go into details with you. I barely know you."
"Try me. I have nothing better to do either. The name's Cat, short for Catherine."
"Nice to meet you Cat. My name is Elaine. Care to sit down? You may need a drink for this story."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
a naturalistic snapshot of a scene; captured beautifully. your dialogue rolled along, unforced and your characters warm and inviting.
I love series! well done for keeping it up
Visitors can see my FF at http://annieevett.blogspot.com/2010/10/lonely-in-paradise.html
I had no idea Elaine was still alive. What a surprise. I'm anxious to see if Cat will put the pieces together before her relationship with Lou become dangerous.
I like the mystery feel you have going in these stories.
I really like how some of you can continue previous Fiction Friday stories with new prompts. For some reason or another I can't do it. Good work.
I haven't been around Fiction Friday for a while either, but it's good to see you back.
I'm enjoying the series you've developed with these characters. They are coming to life more and more.
Adam B @revhappiness
Aha! The plot thickens... I'm glad to see you back :D.
Post a Comment