Monday, October 25, 2010

"I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here": Merrylandgirl's spa day experience

When I first entered THE pearl modern spa and boutique, I had the song “I Think I’m Gonna Like it Here” from Annie in my head. I had signed up for this spa day event, hosted by a local shul, and had been looking forward to it for almost two months. I was not disappointed in the slightest.
Initially, everyone was given a locker and a robe and invited to hang out in the lounge on really comfortable chairs and couches or have breakfast, where they were serving danishes and a yogurt bar (catered by a local Kosher store). I didn’t have my first service until 12:30, so from 10:00 until then, I got to eat breakfast, relax and read. I managed to claim a lounging chair (a longer version of a regular chair, meant for stretching ones’ legs) and settled in with my book and some mint flavored hot cocoa. Women who worked at the spa were handing out warm neck wraps, so I enjoyed that luxury, as well.
My first service was a facial. When I got in the room, I was surprised to see a massage table. It was very comfortable though. The woman who did my facial offered me a pillow, which was definitely appreciated. She then explained all the steps of the facial so that I would not be too alarmed by what she was doing. First she put a cleanser on my face, which smelled incredible and felt amazing. I couldn’t stop smiling! She wiped it off with a warm cloth. Then she used an exfoliating scrub and wiped that with a warm cloth, as well. Finally, she put on a hydrating mask and covered my eyes with a translucent cloth. She let the mask sit for a while and gave me a hand and arm massage in the meantime. It was a very pleasant and relaxing experience overall. I couldn’t stop raving about it the whole day!
Afterward, I got a manicure. I haven’t had one since this summer, so it was a nice indulgence. With all the typing and other things I do, I don’t know how long it will last. I picked a warm fall color (a deep red) and let the manicurist get to work. While she was doing my nails, she washed my rings and now my engagement ring is all sparkly again. She did a great job and was very gentle throughout the manicure, even though I have tense hands, which she kept pointing out. When she painted my nails, she did small brush strokes, almost like she was painting a work of art. It was fascinating to watch.
After my nails dried, I had lunch (mostly salad) and sat with a girl who was new to the community. She was very nice, and I enjoyed getting to know her. Then I rested for a short time until my pregnancy massage (or as they called it, an “oyster” massage). The massage bed was set up with a special cushion so I wouldn’t put pressure on my abdomen. She first worked on my upper back and shoulder area and got out all the tension that had been causing my upper back, neck and shoulders to be sore for a while. Then she worked on my legs and feet for a long time. It was such a relaxing and blissful experience and I really enjoyed it.
I had some time to relax in the afternoon before going home. I took a shower at one point. The water pressure was great, but it took a while to get to the right temperature. Then I sat and talked with some women, including the new girl I met that day, and also read for a while. When it was time to get ready to leave, I did not want to get out of the extremely soft and comfortable robe in order to put on my street clothes. It felt like I was getting back to reality after a day of complete hedonism.
I hope there will be more spa days like this in the future, as it was a wonderful experience. Next time, I would like to be able to take advantage of things I couldn’t do while pregnant, such as the blue grotto clay treatment or the luxurious tub soak, as well as drink some wine. Aside from all that, it was a nice getaway and I enjoyed bonding with other women from the community.

No comments: