Thursday, September 15, 2011

Step on a crack....or ice for that matter

Remember the blog project I did last year with three other women? Well, Froggie decided to resurrect it with me and we each got to invite another friend to join us. She invited a mutual friend (someone I met through her) and I invited a friend whose blog I really enjoy reading. So now it's Froggie, Mom of Many, Moma Rock and Merrylandgirl. Hope you enjoy the topics that we'll be exploring!

This week, Moma Rock picked the topic: What is the worst physical trauma (or pain) you've ever been in?

Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock

On New Year's Eve in 1996, I was in New York and running to catch a train. I was apparently not prepared for snow and didn't wear boots. Needless to say, I went sliding on some ice and landed on my back. It hurt a little but nothing major. When I got back to Chicago a few days later, I started to really feel the effects. By the beginning of the following week, it hurt to move. I couldn't sit down comfortably, as I was completely stiff in my back. It also felt like I cracked a rib and it hurt to breathe. I went to my mom's clinic the following day to have her give me an X-Ray. (She's an X-Ray tech). Nothing showed up on there and she had one the doctors at her clinic prescribe painkillers for me. I went back to college in a little bit of pain, but nothing as astronomical as those few days during my winter break.

In 2010, I was smart enough to wear boots during a snowstorm. (This was shortly before Snowmageddon too.) I was walking home from shul and still managed to slip on some hidden ice and fall on my hip and posterior. I was able to get up and walk home the rest of the way. I iced it when I got back to the house. I was fine for a few days and then I was reading a story to my older son and I felt like something was ripping through my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack. It hurt to breathe and I felt like I had cracked a rib again. I sat against ice packs and my husband gave me some ibuprofen. It wasn't enough for me though and I actually requested to go to the emergency room. I HATE going to the emergency room and will avoid it whenever possible. However, this pain was bad enough to warrant a trip there. A friend stayed at our house in case the boys woke up and we made our way to the hospital. I got some X-Rays and was told that I had a muscle spasm. They prescribed painkillers, which would have been nice that same night, had all the pharmacies still been open. Since the doctors took their dear, sweet time, we got out at 11:00 and there wasn't an open pharmacy nearby. I took more ibuprofen later that night and got the prescriptions filled first thing in the morning. I ended up not needing the heavier painkiller and the higher dose of Motrin seemed to help.

Those were the two instances of extreme pain that made even childbirth seem like a walk in the park. I did have other back issues during my last pregnancy, as my daughter decided to position herself in a way that my back would hurt after sitting up for a while. It was nothing like the two instances mentioned here, but it lasted for most of my pregnancy, which made it hard to get a lot done around the house or even sit at the computer for long periods of time. There were also times in college and even beyond where I fell and my neck and back would be stiff for about a day or so, but nothing compared to the feeling of what a cracked rib must be like. Having said that, I feel major sympathy for a family member who recently broke their back, and I hope they recover soon. If a muscle spasm was horribly painful, I can't even imagine what they must have been feeling.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Spasms are incredibly painful!!! I have an old tailbone injury that will spasm on occasion... it's so horrible! I know what you mean by childbirth being a "walk in the park" in comparison!