Remember the blog project I did in 2010 with three other women? Well, Froggie decided to resurrect it with me and we each got to invite another friend to join us. She invited a mutual friend (someone I met through her) and I invited a friend whose blog I really enjoy reading. So now it's Froggie, Mom of Many, Moma Rock and Merrylandgirl. Hope you enjoy the topics that we'll be exploring!
This week, yours truly picked the topic: It's all about self-love...Compliment yourself (as many or as few compliments as you want) OR tell us about something nice you'd like to do for yourself (if money and time were unlimited). You can even do both if you want, but not required.
Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock
When I chose this topic last week, I was just in the mood for something uplifting. I was frustrated because my daughter's school is giving us a time limit for when she should walk before she loses her spot there. And then I saw a video of a guy from my high school totally owning everything fabulous about himself back when he had his Bar Mitzvah. It made me think how important it is to have confidence and pride in ourselves. I thought this would be an easy post to write, but I actually found it more of a challenge than most of the topics I don't have a choice over!
I tend to be hard on myself. I don't like that it's been 18 months since my last child was born and I still can't fit in most of my pre-pregnancy clothes. I see people who lose all the weight in a matter of months. (Doesn't help that I can't resist dessert items.) No matter how often I get my hair cut or how much conditioner and gel I use, every day seems to be a bad hair day. I have yet to get myself organized and that leads to procrastinating all the time. I get frustrated over the smallest things sometimes and have a lack of patience. (It's ironic that I tell other people to be patient when I need to work on that for myself.)
Now to find the stuff I can proudly boast about....
1. I am a good friend. I love my friends and they know it...especially the ones nearest (not by proximity) and dearest to me. I am available to lend an ear or a shoulder to cry on. I also share in their happiness.
2. I am a good cook. At least when it comes to baking desserts and challah. I do make a tasty batch of garlic mashed potatoes.
3. As I said a couple of weeks ago, I've been told I am a good writer. I believe that about myself too and I love when something I write really comes together on paper (or screen). It makes me so proud!
4. I produce adorable children. I know every mom could say that about themselves, but I've received feedback from others that has convinced me even more. What makes me even happier is hearing that I've raised them right...like when someone tells me how polite or sweet they are.
5. I've taken one of my passions and really made something of it. It's not just a book blog, but a forum for authors and readers to come together. When I started it, I thought it would go nowhere and now it's become a force to be reckoned with! I love hearing reader feedback that they love my blog and that they keep coming back for more. It's such a huge warm fuzzy for me. (I'm also glad to give credit to everyone who has worked with me to get it where it is now.)
6. I can sing. I can't hit the high notes that well, but I like how I sound when I sing some of my favorite songs. I took voice lessons in high school. It didn't get me a part in a musical or a solo in a choral concert, but I did feel more comfortable with my singing voice overall.
I think I'll stop here, as I don't want my head to overfill. :)
I've also decided to include the second option of this topic. The nice thing I'd do for myself is throw a huge party to bring all my friends and loved ones together in one place. I'd even invite all the authors I've connected with. Since time and money would be a non-issue, I'd fly everyone in from wherever they lived and we'd all hang out at a posh hotel with all the fixings. I'd have a dress custom designed so that it looked incredible on me and felt comfortable so that I could just enjoy myself and feel gorgeous. I'd hire Idina Menzel to put on a concert, as she's one of my favorite performers. The party itself would rival anything Naomi ever put together on 90210, but it would be non-pretentious. All of my guests would have someone to chat with, as I love introducing my friends to one another. I'd find a way to spend time with everyone there, chatting with them to find out what is going on in their lives. I'd also make sure there was plenty of time to dance with my husband. There would be a section of the party room where people could play fun pop culture and getting-to-know-you games. The food would be all Kosher, of course, and my favorite things. We'd have pizza and cheese fries from my favorite Kosher pizzeria and then an ice cream sundae bar. It would be THE party of the year, but an exclusive event only for those I care about.
A girl can dream big, right?!?
Thursday, August 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment