Thursday, August 16, 2012

My Kind of Olympics

Remember the blog project I did in 2010 with three other women? Well, Froggie decided to resurrect it with me and we each got to invite another friend to join us. She invited a mutual friend (someone I met through her) and I invited a friend whose blog I really enjoy reading. So now it's Froggie, Mom of Many, Moma Rock and Merrylandgirl. Hope you enjoy the topics that we'll be exploring!

This week, Moma Rock picked the topic: Recap of the Olympics in your own words. What is your favorite event or athlete to watch? If you don't watch, why don't you?

Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock

I'm in the latter category. I've never been interested in the Olympics. I'm not a sports person and I just don't have the time investment to put towards watching. The only shows I've watched all summer are The Glee Project and The Big Bang Theory (in reruns). I also have political reasons for not watching this time. Even though the International Olympic Committee said they're not political, they did something that was really bothersome to a large chunk of the population. I won't go into detail here, but it's bad.

Maybe if these events were brought to the Olympics, I'd watch:

*Musical Theater competition. Nations could write and perform in their own original musical production. Then the judges could rate on music quality, acting, originality, etc. There would be translations available in all languages.

*Comedy competition: Each nation could have a representative to be a comedian and do a five minute stand-up routine. They'd be rated on how much they make the audience laugh. Again, there would be translations available in all languages.

*Storytelling competition: The competitors would be given a classic children's novel, such as "Corduroy" or "The Cat in the Hat" and have to tell it in the most engaging way possible. Scoring would be based on how well they brought the story to life. Same deal with translations as the above two events.

*Housecleaning competition: The competitors would be set up in a house occupied by someone featured on the show "Hoarders." They'd have to clean the entire house from top to bottom in the span of a day. The team who made the most progress would win.

*City scavenger hunt: Teams would be sent to various cities around the world with a set of items to find. The team who found their items first would win. And these would be challenging items too.

*Shopping competition: It would be like that Shop-Til-You-Drop game show. Teams would be released into a huge mall with a budget. They'd have to get the most items and use as much of their budget as possible without going over. The team that had the most items and was closest to the budget limit would win.

*Double Dare obstacle course competition: If you remember the kid's game show Double Dare and all the crazy things they had to do on the obstacle courses at the end of the show, then you'll really like this competition. Whichever team does the whole course in the quickest amount of time will be the winner of this event. Sundae Slide, anyone?!?

Now that's my kind of Olympics...

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Love your ideas for types of competitions!

I now have to go see if there are any Double Dare episodes online. I loved watching that show.

Sara said...

Very clever Melissa! :) They should come up with something like this!