Thursday, October 4, 2012

Hail to the chief!

Remember the blog project I did in 2010 with three other women? Well, Froggie decided to resurrect it with me and we each got to invite another friend to join us. She invited a mutual friend (someone I met through her) and I invited a friend whose blog I really enjoy reading. So now it's Froggie, Mom of Many, Moma Rock and Merrylandgirl. Hope you enjoy the topics that we'll be exploring!

This week, Froggie picked the topic: If you could have a conversation with any President of the United States, who would you want to talk to and what would you talk to them about?

Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock

I will admit this topic is my fault. I invited Froggie to visit me and she got to tour DC while she was here. I'm glad she had fun and was inspired!

I know this is a no-brainer, but I would totally have a chat with our current President, Barack Obama. I am not a political person in the slightest. (Surprising that I live by the Capitol, right?) However, I just like what he stands for. After a trend of all caucasian Presidents, he is the first African American president. That's huge! It shows that our country is starting to embrace diversity. Given that he was born in an era of racism and segregation, it shows that our country has come a far way. It gives me hope that voters will continue to embrace diversity in the coming years and that maybe there will be a female president.

I've enjoyed his presidency. It has been a breath of fresh air. Maybe moving to the DC area shortly after his inauguration contributed to this, but it's not like I got to meet him or anything. I have been inside the White House (GREAT way to start off in my new job), but not in his living area. Anyway, he never pushed a religious agenda onto his platform. I still think church and state should be separate and I have never once heard of him using his religious beliefs as fodder for a new law. I also like watching him interact with Michelle and his kids. I can tell they have a strong and loving family and that he wouldn't have an extramarital affair on America's clock.

If we ever did get to chat, I think I'd start off by talking about living in the Chicago area. Definitely common grounds. It's funny how we both lived there and now live in DC (or the surrounding area). I would ask him some questions about his kids and dog or just about life in general. When you have to talk about politics and do debates and State of the Union speeches all the time, I'm sure a bit of normalcy is a nice treat! I'd tell him how I was still planning to vote for him, regardless of who he was up against. I think he's had a major mess to clean up and, while I'm sure there are right wing political folk who would disagree with me, I think he's doing a nice job. Before he took office, the economy was losing 800,000 jobs a MONTH. Now, there has been 30 consecutive months of job growth and 5.1 million new private sector jobs. He also supports equal pay and health care rights of women. And he responsibly ended the war that his predecessor got us into.

Could the country use more work? Yes. But four more years in office could potentially do the trick, as I think he's on the right path. I will be extremely disappointed if he does not get re-elected.

(Side note, if anyone connected with Obama reads this post and wants to set up a lunch meeting, I'm all for it!)

No comments: