Inspired by One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern, I've decided to ask people some thought provoking questions about themselves, as I feel that everyone has a story to tell. If you're just joining me on this journey today, please check out the previous posts from this series, as well.
How fitting that this storyteller goes by the name Birdie, since there's a character in One Hundred Names who also goes by that name. I know this Birdie frequents my book blog but I don't want to reveal more as to keep her identity anonymous. She seems like a very nice person, from what I've gotten to know about her thus far.
Name you'd like to go by: Birdie
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Location: Minnesota
What is an experience that is legendary for you?
Surviving breast cancer. In order to get, and stay, cancer-free, I have had five surgeries, chemo, and radiation. I lost all my hair, and a breast, but in order to live cancer-free, it was totally worth it. Plus, my hair grew back, better than ever (even after six years, it's curly and I love it), and I got a new, perky breast :)
What is your guilty pleasure?
Taking time to myself, during the day, to read (which I usually only get to do at night, since I have a four year-old.)
What is something you've never done but you would like to do?
Go to Italy. I'm fascinated by European history, and Rome especially. I'd LOVE to see the Coliseum, and so many other things over there.
If you could give someone one of your favorite things as a gift, what would it be and why?
It sounds cheesy, but I'd love to give my love of reading to my daughter. I don't let a day go by when I don't read part of a book, and I hope to pass that on to my daughter. Since she was born, we read books to her before bedtime, and she gets upset if we don't read at least three books, so I think I'm doing something right!
What is something you did that changed someone's life?
Adopted my daughter. You'd think that changed her life, but it changed mine and my husband's more. We had gone through some tough times. In 2006 we moved from Wisconsin (where our families live) to Pennsylvania. Four months later I was diagnosed with breast cancer. After surgeries, chemo, and radiation, I was declared cancer free in December of 2006. I wasn't able to get pregnant because of the treatments, and we decided to adopt. We started it in the spring of 2007. In February 2009, we found out that a birth mom had chosen us to adopt her baby. Haley was born 6 weeks early on February 15, 2009. We flew out to Kansas (where she was born) the morning after she was born. We got to see her 18 hours after she was born. Best day of my life. She recently turned four, and I can't imagine my life without her :)
What part of your personality is now extinct?
Being embarassed about the little things. After being bald for an entire summer (wigs and scarves can get very hot), and having a toddler who says and does extremely embarassing things in public, I've learned to just laugh things off.
What is one thing that you find really funny?
My daughter. She makes me laugh every single day. (I realize I'm using my daughter in a lot of these answers, but as a stay-at-home mom, she's my life right now!)
Tell me one thing you love about yourself (or a gift you'd like to get yourself, where money is not an issue):
I'd love to give myself a Mediterranean cruise. That way I could visit Italy, Greece, and Spain, three countries I would love to visit!
What TV show, book or movie is most like your life?
Probably The Middle, at least that's how it was when I was growing up. My brother was just like the oldest son, mostly because he sat around in his underwear all day ;), and the parents were a lot like mine, although my mom and dad cooked our meals, we didn't eat fast food every night! But I say The Middle because they are just an average (and dysfunctional, but aren't we all) family living in the midwest.
What is something that not many people know about you?
I really didn't mind being bald too much. It was actually kind of freeing. That being said, I certainly didn't mind it when my hair started growing back. :)
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I loved reading your responses. I too am an adoptive parent of a girl (who will be 3 tomorrow). She was born 4 months premature. She is our heart and we couldn't imagine life without her! Congrats on your daughter and beating cancer!!!
Marlene :)
Post a Comment