Thursday, April 11, 2013

It happened at the White House

I've been blogging with three fabulous women for two years and have been enjoying all the fun topics we come up with week after week. If you want to see what we've discussed in the past, check out our posts here.

This week, I chose the topic: Talk about a small world situation that happened to you personally.


Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock

This topic was inspired by my recent trip to Disney World, as I hear "It's a Small World" in my head all the time!

In the past, I had been told about some really cool small world instances and was almost jealous of how cool the experience must have been. The first time I met my mother-in-law (when I had been dating my husband for a couple of months), she had gone to a Judaica store in West Rogers Park and had a conversation with the cashier that led to her finding out that he was my brother-in-law's college roommate. And better yet, the same guy showed up at our family friends' house a few weeks later. I wanted a story like that for myself!

When I first started my job, we had a holiday party that involved a tour of the White House. I had only been at this job for a few weeks and was still getting to know everyone. At the end of the tour, we were standing by the doors and complaining how cold it was outside. One of the girls mentioned how the cold didn't bother her because she was from Cleveland. I asked her what part of Cleveland, since my husband also grew up there. She named the town and it turned out to be the same town where he grew up and went to high school. I imparted this bit of information to her and she asked his name. I told her she probably wouldn't know him since she was a few years younger. She said "try me." So, I told her his name. Then came the real kicker....she responded with "I went to prom with him." What are the odds that I'd get a job in Maryland working with my husband's prom date from high school in Cleveland?!? They obviously hadn't been in touch in a long time and I don't think she knew my last name prior to the conversation, so the topic probably wouldn't have come up if we didn't have this excuse to talk about it.

Currently, I work even more directly with my husband's prom date. Turns out that she's one of my favorite people to work with. She's just so nice, easygoing and respectful. We have more in common besides the same taste in guys. :) Our kids are close in age and we're both fans of Rent. Funny thing is that we look nothing alike, so it seems like my husband has a broad spectrum of types. (Then again, haven't we all gone after various types at one time or another?)

When I first told my husband about how she and I work together and how I found out that she knew him as more than someone in her yearbook, he told me that it was the small world story to top all small world stories. I dare you to come up with something better than this....

3 comments:

Sara said...

Very cool!!!!

Book Mama said...

What a great story. How cool is that???

Janine said...

That's amazing