I've been blogging with three fabulous women for two years and have been enjoying all the fun topics we come up with week after week. If you want to see what we've discussed in the past, check out our posts here.
This week, Moma Rock chose the topic: Talk about some of the items you have in your possession that you've had for a really long time. They can be heirlooms, or other priceless treasures of yours that you've held onto.
Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock
Back in good ol' 1990, I graduated from the most hellish place on earth...junior high. To commemorate this milestone in my life, my (late) maternal grandmother got me a necklace with my name. It was simplistically pretty. The writing was in gold (probably not authentic gold, but it was still gold to me) and there was a little diamond-like gem dotting the "i". I wore it every day for quite some time. I even made a speech about it in a Forensics class that I took during sophomore year of high school. What drove me crazy was people thinking they could call me by name without actually knowing me. Although I didn't mind the cute guy who figured out my last name just by looking at my necklace that bore only my first name. I still have that necklace and still wear it often. It's something I'll always be able to remember my grandma by.
I don't really know what else to talk about in terms of what I've owned for a long period of time. Some of it is random, like journals or mix tapes that friends made for me. I have some clothes dating back to my college days. I still even have my high school jacket and ring. I have photos from various periods of time. I also have stuff in our china cabinet that was passed down from grandparents on my side and my husband's side.
The other item I'd like to give mention to is the diamond from my engagement ring. After the Holocaust, my husband's grandparents moved from Hungary to Cleveland. His grandfather was a jeweler and saved two diamonds for my husband and brother-in-law to give to their wives when they asked for their hand in marriage. I love that there's history behind my ring, even though I never met my husband's grandparents. It's more meaningful to me to know that these diamonds were chosen by someone who instinctively knew that they'd go to the right people someday and that they weren't just chosen at a random jewelry store.
Sunday, May 5, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment