Thursday, June 6, 2013

Would you like matzo balls with that?

I've been blogging with three fabulous women for over two years and have been enjoying all the fun topics we come up with week after week. If you want to see what we've discussed in the past, check out our posts here.

This week, I chose the topic: Share a Chicken Soup for the Soul story that either happened to you personally or you witnessed.

Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock

I used to read the Chicken Soup for the Soul books a lot, especially during my college years. I found them inspiring, heartwarming and emotional. I just know that in my own life, there have been moments that evoked those same feelings. I still remember crying at the surprise proposal for one of the girls in my improv class at the final class show. It was one of those sweet and amazing moments that caught me off guard, like a real life Hallmark commercial. I don't really have long stories, but I wanted to share a few other moments that I hope will warm your heart, as well.

*Another time I was recently brought to tears was at my younger son's Purim concert this past February. One of the girls from a different class had stage fright, so her dad got up on stage with her so that she'd feel less afraid. Instead of just standing there and holding her hand, he totally got into all the dancing, not caring how silly it might have seemed. I was sitting in the audience wiping away tears because of how sweet it was.

*Recently, when I was tucking my younger son in bed for the night, I asked him something about my older son. I can't remember what it was that I even said, but he responded with "He's my best friend!" Such a beautiful and innocent remark.

*Back when I worked at a camp for kids with special needs, I was in charge of helping a girl who had severe developmental disabilities. I had to make sure that she was included in all the activities with the other campers, for socialization purposes. One time, when I was involving her in a group activity, one of the other campers (who was usually not that well behaved) came up and gave her a hug. It definitely made me verklempt to see him do that.

*Witnessing the marriage of people whose weddings I had a part in making possible.

*The messages I receive from authors thanking me for what I do via my book blog are heartwarming and some e-mails have made me teary-eyed. It's nice to feel like I've made a difference in someone's life, even on a small scale.

*Reuniting with friends I haven't heard from in a long time. Facebook has made so much of that possible. I'm still moved by the fact that one of these friends drove SIX hours round trip just to hang out with me for 1/3 of that much time. And this was the first time we had seen each other in 13 years. I remember when we first found each other via Facebook, I couldn't stop grinning! And when we met up in person, it was like no time had been lost.

I'd love to hear your Chicken Soup for the Soul moments or stories!

1 comment:

Janine said...

Great post. I especially love the comment when your son said his brother was his best friend. So sweet.