Thursday, April 3, 2014

Boo-hoo! You had me, and then you lost me!

Our blog project group has once again changed by one member, but I'm still calling it Blog Project 3.0. The newest member is Darwin Shrugged, a friend of Froggie's. I recently got to know her better through "52 Stories" and I look forward to what she has to say on the upcoming topics.

This week I chose the topic: First World Problems.

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic:
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

For some reason, when I think of first world problems, I think of some lines from "The Sinatra Group," a really funny skit that was done on SNL back in the early 90s. One of the things Frank Sinatra (played by the late, great Phil Hartman) says is "Boo-hoo! You had me, and then you lost me!" He also mimics playing a violin at another point. I could see those being responses to most of the "drama" I read about on Facebook on a daily basis. And then there's the line from Sinead O'Connor (played by Jan Hooks): "I can't believe you're talking about my hair with all the bloody starvation and suffering in the world right now." That pretty much says it all, even over 20 years later.

Recently, I've been seeing posts on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #FirstWorldProblems. There's even a Twitter page just for these sorts of grievances to be aired. It's stuff we deal with in a modern and privileged world, with all this technology at our fingertips. I just read a book called Secret Daughter (reviewed here) and it talks about the poverty in India a lot. It made me think about how grateful I am to live where I do and to not have to worry about the issues that people have to worry about there. When we discussed the book at our book club meeting, one of the girls said she lived in India for a while and that the author wasn't exaggerating. That just made things seem so much worse in a way. And yet, people in the US are complaining because they couldn't get their selfie to load up on Facebook or that they have to turn on the TV manually because their remote control ran out of battery power. Here's where the Frank Sinatra responses would come in handy. It's hard NOT to laugh at the problems posted on the Twitter page.

In any case, I know everyone has their own problems to deal with, whether they are big or small. Just because we have all sorts of advantages in today's society, we are still entitled to complain if something is bothering us. I wouldn't categorize every issue we have as a first world problem, but if it's legitimately bothering us, then we should at least be able to vent to those we care about. It doesn't need to be an announcement on Facebook, but if we need to get it off our chest, so be it. I apologize for being vague, but I recently complained to a friend about something that bothered me and I didn't want to make a big deal out of it or hurt the person who caused the problem because it was really trite in the grand scheme of things. It just felt better to get it off my chest to someone who was completely impartial to the situation and I was even able to look back at things and laugh about what happened instead of getting all mad over it. There are other little daily annoyances that I don't necessarily feel like sharing with the world, but I try to find a way to deal with them and get over them so that they don't ruin my day. However, in the name of good fun, I'll share a few of them here while Frank Sinatra plays his "violin":

*The series finale of How I Met Your Mother was predictable and disappointing to me.

*Commercial-Free Tuesday on the country station isn't happening anymore.

*I have to shop for Passover food and it's all too overwhelming and everything is much more expensive.

*On that note, I have to clean for Passover, which includes my car.

*It somehow annoys me that Frozen is the highest grossing Disney animated film EVER. (See why.)

*Movies cost a lot of money at the theater so you'd think people could keep that in mind before letting their kids scream or talk throughout most of it. Also, the Regal Cinema where we saw Muppets Most Wanted doesn't have stadium seating. Just saying.... (Oh, and my daughter was being selfish with the Raisinets.)

*Having to watch the new Annie trailer every time I take my kids to a movie.

*So many books and I can't decide what to read next!

*When publishers send me books that have nothing to do with what I cover on my blog. They just end up sitting in a box if I don't think they're appropriate to give to my friends.

*Always getting THE most annoying songs in my head.

*The one Kosher Chinese restaurant nearby isn't all that impressive so I don't get Chinese food nearly as often as I used to.

*The traffic lights in Maryland are five minutes long.

*Getting stuck behind a bus that keeps stopping every two minutes and no room to get around it.

*There's no soundtrack available for If/Then, even though it's on Broadway now.

*My iPhone sends me "push notification" requests for the same apps I already said "don't allow" for.

*Google Chrome is constantly being "mean" to me between closing down at random times and showing weird pop up ads.

What are YOUR #FirstWorldProblems?

4 comments:

Sara said...

This made me laugh! LOL!!!! I think you're right- all of us are entitled to our first-world problems, just as long as we're able to at some point put it all in perspective. Thanks for sharing! And thank you for re-living a great SNL skit!!!

AiringMyDirtyLaundry said...

Yes on the iphone sending notifications. I've said no to Instagram yet they still always pop up. GAH!

I have a lot of first world problems.

Janine said...

This is an interesting post. It does make me stop and think of the little problems I have and how they really don't compare to what some other people have.

susieqlaw said...

I admit it....I am a MESSY person! However, I have several bags of clothes to donate, and the nearest donation site is an hour away which involves a drive over a mountain that is nearly 3,000 feet above sea level. I live in an area where there is vast wealth and the worst poverty I have ever seen...really not much in the middle...except for me maybe...however, the only way to get clothing and other supplies donated is to take them to the regional center up the mountain, so donations can be driver back down the mountain and up yet another mountain for distribution.