This week I chose the topic: Make new friends, but keep the old....Tell us about your most recent friendship (online or in person) AND your longest friendship.
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock
I first need to point out that when I thought of this topic a few weeks ago, my newest friendship (online, of course) was with a girl with whom I connected on Twitter, shortly before attending Book Expo America. She was mentioning that she liked some of the same books as me, so I decided to connect with her via e-mail. We've been having fun chatting about books, children, and other things.
However, when it was time to share this topic with my group, another friend ended up in the "newest friend" spot. Her name is Jennifer and we connected because some other friends of mine were sharing her book giveaways on Facebook. I had to see who was behind such great chick lit giveaways and when I went to her page, I saw that she lives in the DC area. A woman after my own heart who doesn't live all that far from me. I sent her a message right away and got such a friendly response. I've been sharing her giveaways with people who visit my book blog page and she sent us so many fans that we finally reached 2000 "likes!" I also found out that we're pretty close in age (even though I thought she was in her late 20s when we first connected). And to top it off, she's also an Orange is the New Black fan! Her enthusiasm for chick lit matches and possibly surpasses mine. Also, within a week of connecting with her, she sent me a gift. It's a beautiful silver jewelry box with my first initial on it!
She's just really kind and generous and everyone who knows her personally seems to love her. I hope we can meet up in person soon, as I think we'll have more time to actually talk vs. shooting quick e-mails back and forth throughout the day (mostly consisting of smiley faces and thumbs up symbols). Her presence in my life has definitely had a positive impact though. I find myself in a better mood as a result of e-mailing with her. She even sent me the sweetest message right before I started my weekend, this past Friday.
If you'd like to meet Jennifer, or even just participate in her cool book and swag giveaways, send her a friend request! You can also follow her on Twitter.
Now onto my longest friendship. While I would love to say that it's with my BFF, we both know this is not the case. I met my first friend, Robin, shortly after I was born, as our parents met in Lamaze class. Since then, our families would get together all the time and go on vacations to Florida every winter. We even have sisters who are close in age. (Our maternal grandmothers were also friends.) We grew up liking all the same TV shows and books and finding all sorts of random things to be really humorous. When we were in college, our lives seemed to be going in different directions. However, we started to connect more before junior year. I'm thankful for that because she got into a terrible car accident right after school started back up. Someone rescued her, but she had a long road ahead. I think it affected what she wanted to do in the future. She studied and took classes online while she was recovering and still went on to graduate before me and get a job in the field in which she wanted to start her career. I know she still loves what she does. As adults, we got married about six months apart and then had both of our sons around the same time. While we didn't stand up in each other's weddings, it was still emotional to see her walk down the aisle. Our moms helped each other with our bridal showers too. And I still remember when we first were telling each other we were pregnant and said it at the same time! (Our parents were out together at a different place and were waiting for us to share the news with each other. They already knew that we'd both be finding out that day.)
Although I don't see her often, since we live so far apart, it's still a treat when we do get together. We saw each other the last time I was in town and had a nice time catching up. Our kids played so well together too! It was like no time had been lost. I'm also friends with her sister, and she's friends with my sister. I need to stay in touch with her better, but I know that even when I'm bad at doing so, our friendship is still intact.
![]() |
| Sometime within our first year. |
![]() |
| On one of our Florida trips |
![]() |
| At Robin's Sweet 16 |
![]() |
| With our younger sons in 2008 |





4 comments:
Your friendship with Robin sounds like the best. I hope one day soon you will get to meet Jennifer. She seems like she would be so much fun and easy to talk to.
Very cool! You've been friends since in utero, how many people can say that? And, I recently became a friend of Jennifer's on Facebook. She is very friendly! I hope you two get to connect in person soon.
What a nice post! I met up with an old friend recently and was thinking about how nice it is to have people that you go way back with. And in utero is pretty much as far back as you can get!!
Great pictures! The best kinds of friends are those you can go months (and sometimes years) without having contact with and then when you do reconnect it's as if you were never apart. I have a few of those and I cherish them!
Post a Comment