Friday, September 12, 2014

I'm too old for this "stuff"

Sometimes I only get the chance to blog once a week. And since I can't always get up the motivation to think of a topic, it's nice to have other friends to blog with so we can take turns. I enjoy being challenged to write about stuff that might not normally come to mind and also reading everyone else's thoughts on the same topic. Blog Project 3.0 has been going on for about a year now, even though one of the group members changed after a few months. I love blogging with this group and I hope we can continue to inspire each other.

This week Darwin Shrugged chose the topic: Write about 3-5 things that you used to love, enjoy doing, etc., in the past but now you don't like. Or, write about stuff you used to not like but have grown to enjoy. And feel free to throw in one thing you've always loved and always will.

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic:
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

This topic got me thinking about stuff I wouldn't normally give much thought to. I've come to realize that as I have gotten older, I have less of a tolerance for certain things. Sometimes it's just due to a lack of patience and other times to a lack of interest. Since I can't think of anything I have grown to enjoy, I will share things I used to love and now don't like.

Side note: My subject line has to do with an episode of How I Met Your Mother, where Ted is telling his kids about some behaviors he has outgrown. However, instead of saying the "S" word, he says "stuff" each time.

A pic my older son recently drew
Drawing: When I was a kid, I loved drawing pictures. I had this huge pad of paper on my desk at home and would spend time drawing scenes with people, backgrounds, etc. I wasn't necessarily good at it, but I found it relaxing. I would even doodle in my notebooks at school when I got bored. As an adult, I have absolutely no desire to draw anything. My older son likes art and it's fun to see his drawings, but I just can't share his enthusiasm for the activity.

Riding my bicycle: I mentioned before that it took me a long time to learn how to ride a bicycle. Once I did, however, I would ride it all over the place. I always felt so free and it was great exercise. The last time I rode my bicycle was shortly before I became pregnant with my first child. Now the only bicycle I ride is stationary and sits in my basement.

Me at 14 with our first two cats
Having pets: At one point in my life, my family had four cats and a dog. I loved having them around and especially treasured the time I spent with our beagle, Buddy. I even had a cat of my own until my son developed allergies. Thankfully, we found her a new home. And now I actually like having a pet free home. My kids keep asking me if they can get a pet that won't cause allergy problems, but I don't even want that. There's a lot of responsibility involved and if they get attached to the pet and it dies, I know they'll be devastated. And really...I just don't want a pet in the house. I just don't have the patience to worry about it. After reading Moma Rock's post about her new kitten, I stand my ground even more. (Not saying ALL pets are that much work, but still...) I love other people's pets though. I don't know if this will be set in stone as I get older, but this is where I stand for now.

Me at 15 with Buddy


Going to the mall: Unlike Robin Sparkles, I do not want to go to the mall today...or any other day. The only reason I go to our local mall is for Target. Being spoiled by thrift store prices, I see no point in going to the mall anymore. The malls these days seem overwhelming and I find most of the stores to be pointless or even sketchy looking. When I was a kid and even through my college years and a bit beyond, I enjoyed going to the mall and had certain stores I had to visit each time. I think after moving out east, the malls just don't have the same feel they did in the midwest. (And some of my favorite malls have changed so much since then.) I don't even know how to explain that, but just take my word for it. Even so, when we were in Chicago and went to Water Tower Place, I was just so unimpressed and wanted to spend as little time in there as possible.

Carnivals: The only reason I go is for my kids. The exciting feel I had over carnivals when I was a kid is replaced by annoyance at the prices, how loud and crowded they get, the fact that I get sick from rides that go any faster than a carousel or ferris wheel, etc. I remember when I'd love to go to the local carnivals or state and county fairs as a kid and ride the craziest rides and eat lots of junk food. I probably romanticized them at the time. Now I just get overwhelmed.

Mini-golf: It was so much fun to do as a kid (I especially loved this one course by Randhurst Mall in Illinois) but now I find it boring. If I can't get my ball into the cup after a certain amount of taps, I just give up. I don't even keep score anymore. A few weeks ago, I just let my husband take the boys mini-golfing at a park while my daughter and I did other stuff.

* * *

As for something I'll always love...well, isn't it obvious by now?!? If not, visit my other blog.

3 comments:

Janine said...

This is a fun topic. There are a lot of things I used to love to do and now don't. Clubs, There were days when I was younger that all I thought about was where I would go on the weekends. Now, you couldn't pay me to go. I used to be a tanning junkie and spend a lot of time in a tanning bed. The last couple years, I don't even care if I have pasty white skin in the summer. Maybe if I was planning a beach vacation, I would go. But, just for hanging around town, forget it. The day after Thanksgiving shopping. I used to always want to do this and one year I got to go to three malls. Now, I refuse to go because I can't deal with the crowds and rude people. I've gotten where I don't like shopping as much as I used to. Going any where on the opposite side of Dallas is pretty bad too because my husband gets road rage when driving and it scares me. So, I stay on my side of town now and if he asks to go some place, I make an excuse not to go. I have become a homebody when I used to want to stay gone all the time. And, the main one is staying up late at night. There used to be days when I wanted to do everything at night. Now, I just want to be in bed at 9:00 every night.

Denise K. said...

Other than pets, I wholeheartedly agree with your list! I, too, used to love those things but now really don't. But I still think you need to reconsider your position on a nice kitten.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I love malls, but I don't go too often. You know I love Target!

And we just have 1 cat. I wouldn't have the patience for a dog.