For information on episodes, here's a guide.
Spoilers ahead, but this won't make sense unless you've watched the whole season anyway.
Thoughts on Season One
Thoughts on Season Two
Thoughts on Season Three
Thoughts on Season Four
Thoughts on Season Five
Now on to the final season...
Ep 1:
I think the most shocking thing was seeing Julia with someone new in her life, even if this is some sort of office affair. I really had hopes that she and Joel would get back together. I love that he tried to kiss her toward the end of the episode.
I'm glad Zeke was okay enough to leave the hospital and go gambling again. It was funny how everyone was yelling at him in the casino and then they all started gambling together. In any case, if you're in Vegas, why not go to the hotels on the main strip?
I'm glad Adam convinced Max to go to the school. Kristina's reaction to seeing him there was sweet. It's amazing how much work she put into getting it going. It was sad to see Gwen's picture though.
Amber's pregnancy is definitely an emotional anchor in the show this season. I'm guessing she plans to keep the baby. Sarah's reaction was interesting, but I'm glad Amber told her.
I must reiterate that I don't want my daughter to become a teenager. Ruby seems like quite a piece of work. I'm glad Sandy is acting more like a human being though.
Ep 2:
I can't believe how stubborn Zeke is being about the surgery and that Crosby was actually going along with it. I'm glad he finally realized that he needs the surgery if he wants to meet his great-grandchild.
I'm not surprised about Sydney being a bully. She's always been really bratty though. I know the separation is hard on everyone, but Victor seems to be handling things okay. I'm glad Julia told Joel how she was feeling about him suddenly wanting to talk.
It was nice that Sarah tried to help Amber see the joyous side of parenting. It seems like she'll support her through this.
Kristina's situation is pretty stressful. Why can't the kids bring their own lunches to school. This is a charter school with not a lot of funding. Adam's idea was creative though and I'm glad it helped one of the kids feel more confident. They need a dedicated teacher for culinary arts though. How is Adam going to do this and run the Luncheonette?
Ep 3:
I love how Zeke "outed" Amber's pregnancy to the rest of the family. At least she wasn't upset about it. I'm glad she was honest with Ryan, and not just about the baby. His reaction was sweet, but I'm glad Drew was able to convince Amber to take a step back so that Ryan can get his life together. I just hope he's really able to do it this time around.
I would have been so mad if I caught Ruby stealing, but I'm glad Sarah didn't overreact and let Hank handle things. Sandy's reaction to having Sarah around is a bit extreme and Hank should be telling her that Sarah isn't going anywhere and that she's not just someone he sleeps with.
The wait for the surgery was definitely nerve wracking. I can see why Camille was so stressed out.
Crosby's motorcycle riding scene made me nervous and I'm glad the worst he did was injure his leg. So frustrating about Oliver though. He needs to get over himself and I'm glad Crosby yelled at him.
I think the situation with Julia and Joel is even sadder now. Joel is being all cute and sweet again and now it's too late. However, I'm glad he's realizing this because Julia did try to keep their marriage in one piece and he blew it all apart. It's not fair to her that he's suddenly "Mr. Nice Guy" again. The new guy she's seeing is cute, but he's not Joel, so something just seems off about that.
Ep 4 and 5:
I love that Max is taking interest in a girl. It was so cute how he asked her what her interest level was. I can understand Kristina's trepidation about this, but I'm glad Max has her and Adam to show him the way and that they're supportive of him. I was appalled at the books he checked out of the library though. Dylan (the girl) is cute too. He has good taste.
I feel bad for Amber that telling the guy she likes that she's pregnant made him lose interest. He was really cute and I was starting to like them together. Even so, Drew's advice made sense and it wasn't worth it for Amber to get more into the relationship if he'd get scared off later on anyway. I hope she meets someone who is willing to take on her "baggage."
I felt bad for Joel when he saw Julia and Chris together. However, he got himself into this mess by not wanting to try harder at fixing things in the beginning. I did like that Julia left things open ended in regards to telling the kids what is going on. I feel like the bullying issue is still unresolved though. I can understand why Joel wouldn't want someone new around the kids so soon. That could be really strange and awkward. I'm still not used to Julia being so serious with someone else, but Chris seems like a good guy who really cares about her.
I love that Jasmine put a boot on Crosby's motorcycle. He was injured from it before and I don't blame her for being worried and upset. I also understand why Crosby is stressed out and sees the motorcycle as a way to find release. I like the pep talk Zeke gave him about scaring the bear. Also, that healing retreat would have driven me crazy too. I hope Oliver comes to his senses soon. It's really lousy what he's doing to The Luncheonette. I also felt bad for Crosby seeing Zeke have a moment of weakness at physical therapy. That has to be unsettling.
I'm glad Kristina was able to get Zeke up and moving again. It just took someone walking a mile in his shoes to get him on the right path.
I love that Hank stood up to Sandy about his relationship with Sarah and that she was fine with Sarah being around after that. Hank was so proud of himself too.
Ep 6:
I'm glad Amber was able to help Ruby, even though I didn't need to hear the puking sounds. I like that she talked some sense into her, as well. I love how mature Amber has become, but this was even before she got pregnant.
How does anyone NOT know who the Peanuts gang is? Also, I love the celebrity game. I used to play that with friends. So much fun!
I am feeling stressed out for both Crosby and Adam. I love how their wives are so supportive. I hope Crosby will be more open with Jasmine in the future. I'd suggest he sell his motorcycle, but I know that's probably hard for him to part with, even though he just got it a little while ago. It was also good that Adam was honest with Amber in the end and that he's trying his best to get The Luncheonette back to a good place.
The part with Jabbar's surprise Harry Potter birthday party got me teary-eyed. He was just so happy!
I wonder what the deal is with Dylan's parents never being around. That didn't seem to fit with her claim that they were clingy with her.
I hope Drew knows what he's doing with his major. It's nice that he wants to help Amber, but he's going to end up miserable if he declares a major that doesn't interest him. He'll burn out. And now he's getting mixed messages from his uncles.
Ep 7:
The whole divorce process for Julia and Joel is so heartbreaking. I love what Zeke said to Joel and what Joel then said to Julia. I was nervous that Chris would be there when he came over, but I'm glad he wasn't...unless he was hiding somewhere. I still can't imagine Julia with anyone but Joel and loved when he was getting sentimental about the house.
Amber's situation was so stressful. It was harsh what Max said to her, but I think he's coming from his own head instead of thinking of how his words affect anyone else. I'm glad Sarah was able to help her feel better. Nora is so cute. And Amber is really good with her.
I'm glad Hank told Sandy about having Asperger's. Maybe she won't be so hard on him anymore. I wonder if she wants to give him another chance though. That wouldn't work too well for Sarah.
I like that Natalie talked some sense into Drew and that he made things up to Zeke by taking him to a real shooting range. It's nice to see Zeke somewhat back to himself.
Funny that they were watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High because I was talking with my husband about that movie the other day.
Ep 8:
Even more heart-wrenching than Julia and Joel's divorce was seeing Max pour his heart out to Dylan only to have her smash it to pieces. I love what Kristina said to him though. I am still emotional just thinking about that part of the episode. I know Dylan is entitled to her feelings, but she was just rude about it. She should have asked Max to go somewhere quiet where they could talk instead of just yelling at him and embarrassing him more. For the record, I don't get what she sees in Aaron Brownstein either.
Maybe it's the parent in me, but I was furious with Ruby for lying to her parents and throwing that party. I'm glad Hank finally took some control of the situation. I am going to invent some device that keeps my kids from becoming teenagers. I can't even fathom it!
I'm glad Jasmine took a job to help support her family. I know it wounds Crosby's pride, but I'm glad he came around about it in the end and that they have more of an understanding about each other. It shows why I still love them together. Renee was being annoyingly meddlesome though. Real estate? Hah!
I didn't like what Drew said to Amber. It was uncalled for. I hope he will change majors and do something he likes instead of worrying about supporting his family. He still has to worry about the cost of college too. I doubt he's there on a full scholarship.
Amber definitely had me worried, but I'm glad it was Braxton Hicks. It would have been interesting if she had gone into labor, since Crosby was also there when Kristina had Nora.
Ep 9:
Such a drama filled episode. I felt bad for Max when Dylan's parents were yelling at Kristina about how he was acting toward Dylan. I'm glad they got that situation resolved. It really goes to show what a kind and patient person Kristina is.
Side note: Dylan's dad is played by the guy who played Glen Goolia in The Wedding Singer.
It was a nice surprise to see Mark again. I could see that longing that is still there between him and Sarah, even if neither of them ever acknowledges it. I also realized for the first time that Sarah is going to be the "G" word soon. That doesn't seem right, even though I'm sure she had Amber when she was really young so that Amber being a pregnant young adult does make Sarah the "G" word whether she likes it or not. It just seems funny in a weird way.
I think Ruby was being a bit over-dramatic about not getting to play Sandy two nights in a row. She was the understudy. It's fair to expect that the original actress would play the part if she is feeling better. At least Ruby got her moment in the sun. Not all understudies get to play the lead role even for one night of a high school performance.
If I were Julia and Joel said he was going to fight for me and for our marriage, I would have thrown the divorce papers in the trash and made out with him right then and there. But that's just me. I can understand why Julia felt the way she did, but I'm glad she pushed Chris away and that she is acknowledging her feelings about Joel afterward. I loved seeing them kiss at the end.
I didn't like how Camille and Zeke were putting Drew in the middle. And not necessary to lay the guilt on him. However, it was sweet what Zeke had planned for himself and Camille to do.
I'm all worried about Zeke now. I thought he was going to be okay after the surgery. Yikes!!!
Ep 10 and 11:
I'm glad Zeke survived his heart attack. The prognosis doesn't look good though, and I wonder when he and Camille are going to make a decision about the next step. I love when they drove by the old house and saw kids and a dog playing in the yard and how Zeke decided to let them find the box with the baseball in it.
It looks like Julia and Joel have decided to be open about their relationship in front of the kids. The scene at the ice rink was so sweet and it was nice to see the kids happy again. I wonder if Sydney will be nicer to people as a result. I am so glad things are moving in a positive direction with this story line. I nearly melted when Joel said that he was never going to leave again and also seeing his smile when Julia called just to say hi.
It was nice how Hank drove Drew to the hospital and put together the crib. He's a good guy overall and I'm glad Sarah finally came to a decision about whether to marry him or not. It was pretty random how he proposed, but I didn't like the way she kept him hanging on for so long.
I was leaning toward Adam and Kristina's decision regarding the Luncheonette and I feel like Crosby manipulated him, whether he knows he did that or not. If Adam is really going to start things up again with Crosby, I wish them a lot of luck with this go-around.
The baby shower scene was sweet. I liked how all the women were giving their advice about motherhood.
Ep 12:
I'm glad Kristina gave Jasmine a piece of her mind about guilt-tripping Adam into working with Crosby again. I feel bad for Crosby that he can't speak up for himself about what he wants. Even so, last time a big decision was presented, Adam conceded to Crosby. Now it's Crosby's turn.
I love how Edgar asked Adam to be his mentor and that the souffle was a success. It was also good that Kristina talked to Max about the possibilities for his future. The career day seemed like a cool program and I'm glad Jasmine got to teach the dance portion of it. I hope Kristina hires her to be a full-time dance teacher. Maybe she can hire Crosby to teach music recording, as well?
I got emotional when Amber had her baby and named him after Zeke. I don't know how I'm going to handle the final episode if this ending did me in.
I like how Julia implied that Zeke told everyone his decision instead of making it a heavy and intense moment for the whole family. I wonder how Adam and Crosby are processing all of this. It was sad enough seeing Camille's reaction the first time around.
I'm also glad Julia and Joel got everything out in the open about her career and that they are still happy together. I can understand why Victor was worried though.
I hope Zeke holds up long enough to walk Sarah down the aisle at her wedding. I'm glad Hank was flexible about everything.
Ep 13--Series finale:
It was definitely a cathartic episode. And everyone who told me to have tissues nearby was spot-on.
I was most surprised about the opportunity for Joel and Julia to adopt a baby. I totally got teary-eyed and shaken up (in a good way) by that. I'm so glad they decided to do it in the end.
I wasn't surprised about Zeke passing away. I saw that coming from the first episode of the season. It was sad how sudden it was and that no one, especially Camille, got to say good-bye. I got verklempt when they were scattering his ashes in the baseball field, but I'm glad they didn't do a whole ceremonial funeral. I think Zeke would have wanted it this way.
I'm glad Crosby decided to go into business for himself and that Amber is now his partner. I love how he asked her to be the new Crosby and how Adam was impressed by his plan.
I love that Adam was made headmaster of the school.
The ending of the episode was amazing. It reminded me of the ending of Six Feet Under, but more uplifting. It was cool seeing everyone a few years in the future. It was a bit surprising to see Amber with a new guy and then Ryan showing up and apparently getting along with this new guy. I'm glad Ryan gets to spend time with his son though. I didn't notice Julia's new baby until I saw it in the article linked in this paragraph. So wonderful! I did notice that Jasmine was pregnant again. And I loved that Camille went to France. It's sad that Zeke couldn't be with her, but I know he wanted her to go there.
Side note: Drew does not look good with a mustache.
It was sweet that Ruby's friend took an interest in Max. It was also nice to see Haddie again.
The wedding was really nice. Overall, Hank is a good guy and I love how much he adores Sarah. The conversation he had with Zeke before the wedding was so touching.
It was so sweet that Camille and Zeke wanted Amber and her baby living with them to be their "third act."
Okay...I can't type anymore without crying again. I loved this show and am going to miss it so so so much!
Here's something fun that I did to reflect back on the series.
Favorite Braverman adult: Adam. He was a great husband and father and I could relate to him in some ways. Even his dancing couldn't dissuade me from this honor.
Favorite Braverman teenager/young adult: Amber. I loved seeing how much she grew up over time and her story lines were so interesting and dramatic.
Favorite Braverman kid/pre-teen: Jabbar. He was overall a sweet and drama-free kid. He reminded me of my older son in some ways.
Favorite in-law: Kristina. Is there really any other choice? All the spouses were great in their own ways, but Kristina was the most passionate about everything.
Top 3 favorite secondary characters: Mark Cyr (Sarah's on and off boyfriend), Natalie (Drew's girlfriend), Heather (Kristina's campaign assistant)
Least favorite extras: Oliver Rome (the rock star diva), Bob Little (the creepy politician), Peet (Joel's boss)
Best acting: Max Burkholder as Max Braverman. He played the role so well that I forgot he doesn't have Asperger's in real life. It was interesting to read about how he prepared for his scenes.
Character I would want to be and what I'd do differently: Kristina, not concede to Bob and expose his lecherousness. I wouldn't have wanted cancer, but I still would love to play that part.
Favorite story arcs: Kristina putting together the school. Julia and Joel's adoption of Victor.
I took the "Which Braverman are you?" quiz on Buzzfeed and got Julia:
You’re very Type-A. You’re hard working, driven, and you probably deal with your feelings by cleaning the house. You know what you like and don’t like, but every once in a while you to let your hair down. You care so much about your relationships and no matter what life throws at you, you refuse to ever give up.
I decided to take a few others to see if they got similar results...
"Which Braverman sibling are you?" (Buzzfeed)
Sarah: You are known for your wit and sass. You are a very creative person who sometimes needs help organizing all your thoughts. You are extremely caring and devoted to your family and friends. You care about your loved ones and want to do everything in your power to make sure they are happy.
"Which Parenthood character are you?" (Buddy TV)

2 comments:
I got Julia, too! For the "which Braverman are you" quiz. For sibling, I got Julia, again!
I love that they used an Ann Veal reference, for the sibling quiz. :)
This was great. I'm really glad you enjoyed Parenthood. It's such a great show.
I miss this show so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it too.
Post a Comment