Today's topic:
Tell us about your comfort foods. Where do they take you? What houses, seasons, cities, and life changes circle around those foods that made you feel everything would be OK?
There are so many places my mind goes when I think of comfort foods. I can't seem to shut it off. I think of foods from my youth and even from now. Some have stood the test of time and others have slipped by the wayside. Keeping Kosher has caused me to give up certain things, but opening myself up more to trying new things (not all...fish is still on my "don't" list) has expanded my palate. I also don't know how to differentiate between favorite foods and comfort foods. What I'll do today is list a bunch and share some thought or memory associated with them. I can't really articulate which houses, seasons, cities, or life changes circle around these foods. I might be able to for some, but not all. I didn't include traditional Jewish foods because I associate them more with rituals and occasions than as comfort foods.
![]() |
| My husband's French onion soup |
*Popcorn: I love going to the movies, but I don't always buy their overpriced popcorn. However, the smell always makes me think of the movie theater. When it wasn't so expensive, I enjoyed a bag of hot popcorn with butter drizzled on it. I'd even melt butter at home and pour it on microwave popcorn to re-create the taste. At our college movie theater, they had small bags of popcorn for a dollar. While it was rather salty, it was still good and I associate having popcorn with my DVDs on Saturday nights to sitting in the big lecture hall watching a second-run film. I also associate the smell with the Mundelein Theater where I would go for Rocky Horror every weekend. The smell of popcorn permeated the small lobby and smelling it even now brings back fun memories.
*Ice cream: I don't remember a time in my life that I didn't have ice cream. There's something just so comforting and satisfying about it. It doesn't matter if I'm eating it at an ice cream store or parlor or on my couch while watching my favorite TV shows. I love putting Magic Shell on it, but have realized how many calories that contains, so I don't do it as often as before. Magic Shell definitely brings me back to childhood though, when it didn't matter how many calories something had. I love the way the chocolate tastes after it hardens and how it blends so well with the ice cream. Chocolate chip cookie dough is one of my go-to ice cream flavors. I also like something with peanut butter and chocolate in it.
*Grilled cheese sandwiches: These are also a staple of both my youth and adulthood. I usually would get a grilled cheese sandwich whenever we went to a diner. Buffalo Restaurant (in Buffalo Grove, Illinois) made really good grilled cheese sandwiches. I know they're hard to screw up, but sometimes restaurants would make them super oily or use too much butter. Yuck! Buffalo got them just right every time. I also liked getting them from the dining hall in college. There was one that would cook them on order, so they were hot off the grill. My husband makes grilled cheese sandwiches too. They're really good. We have a tradition where we'll break the fast on Yom Kippur with a grilled cheese sandwich. I also will make toasted cheese sandwiches if I want something quick and easy. It's especially good on Zadie's Bakery challah (from Fair Lawn, NJ). One of my hang-ups is that I won't eat cheese unless it's melted. So I won't just have a cheese sandwich unless it's been in a frying pan or in the toaster oven. The way the cheese melts onto the bread is just comforting to me and I can't even explain why.
*Chinese food: I used to get Chinese food almost every week when I was growing up. When I worked at my favorite Chinese restaurant, it was several times a week. (I'd get a free meal each night I worked...lucky me!!!) As a kid, I was very picky and only liked egg drop soup (which my husband now makes), beef with gravy, and rice or pan fried noodles. After I started working at the restaurant, I'd try new things. Later on, my favorite dish was chicken garlic lo mein. I also started liking egg rolls a lot more. We don't have a good Kosher Chinese restaurant nearby (we have one, but it's not good), so the closest really good one is about 45 minutes away. This now makes Chinese food a special treat as opposed to something I can get all the time. I even find the smell of Chinese food comforting. I buy Bigelow Oolong tea as the flavor reminds me of going out for Chinese food. Aside from his egg drop soup (which is amazing), my husband also makes Mongolian beef, teriyaki chicken, and orange chicken. He's even made Pad Thai before. It's nice to have homemade Chinese food that has a restaurant taste to it. I have a lot of good memories tied in with Chinese food. Family dinners, nights out with my dad, gatherings with friends, birthday parties (especially my late maternal grandma's 80th birthday), dates, etc.
![]() |
| My husband's egg drop soup |
*Rice: I know this is such a staple food that goes with almost anything, but rice has always been comforting to me. It could be Chinese rice (white or fried), Basmati rice, Rice-a-Roni, rice pilaf, white rice with a sauce mixed in to add flavor, etc. I could just eat rice by itself without a meal surrounding it. At the Chinese restaurant, when I had a break to eat, sometimes I'd just get a bowl full of rice and put some gravy on top, mixing it in. I think the warm and filling feel is what makes rice such a comfort food for me. When my husband makes rice, he boils it in jasmine tea, which goes well with the Chinese food he cooks.
What are YOUR comfort foods?







4 comments:
I am so hungry after reading this. I never really thought about the difference between comfort and favorite foods. I guess my favorite comfort foods would be ice cream because it reminds me of my grandparents. It didn't mater what time of year it was or even if it was in the middle of a New York snow storm, they always had ice cream every night. Mac and cheese also brings back memories when I was little. My mom made the best mac and cheese. Scrambled egg sandwiches take me back to the time I was first on my own. I almost lived on them and pizza. So pizza needs to be on my list too.
Yum this whole post made me hungry.
Hmm. I think any sort of bread is a comfort food to me. And my great grandma made me orange breakfast rolls when I was little. Anytime I see them I think of her!
I love how you have presented your memories! Thanks for sharing!
This made me hungry, too!
Ice cream is a huge comfort food for me. Homemade chicken noodle soup. A friend of mine was in town for Thanksgiving, and her tradition is making turkey noodle soup, from scratch, using the leftover turkey. Even the noodles are homemade! She made a ton of it, and it was so good! Very comforting.
Post a Comment