Friday, October 14, 2016

Hamilton Envy

A while ago, this video was shared in the Hamilton fan group I run on Facebook. I found it hilarious at the time, but now I feel like the girl who rips apart the pillow (and I think that girl even saw Hamilton anyway).



I've come to realize that it's not only depressing to get on Facebook and see all these posts about how horrible people are (and let's face it, some people are truly horrible...and I'm not just talking about election stuff), but also to see how many people are going to be seeing Hamilton before I even get the chance. I feel like it's some sort of retribution for all the times I've posted about my relationship or my kids. I am happy for people who do get to see it now or in the near future. It's hard not to be jealous though.

Sure, I could just hop on over to New York and just see it on Broadway. The last time I searched for tickets, even with keeping options open, nothing was coming up. And I'm not going through other brokers who charge my child's college tuition to see it. I thought about getting tickets to see it in Chicago, but even that comes with a lot of extra costs, such as travel. (New York is around $50 on a bus, round trip vs. either the gas and hotel costs or the airfare to get to Chicago.) So it annoys me when people seem to think it's so damn easy for me to just go and see it. Unless they are paying my way, it's not easy at all. I'm also factoring in my family. There's no way I can just see it by myself. I guess it's the price I pay for getting my family hooked on Hamilton (minus my husband, who wants to see it anyway). It also annoys me when people think I'm somehow depriving my kids by not taking them to see it just yet. (Side note: If anyone knows of any great deals on tickets that don't involve sitting outside all day, please clue me in. I've entered every online giveaway known to me already. So far, no luck.)

However...it is coming to DC. I should think "how lucky I am" instead of "I can never be satisfied." It's coming here either late 2017 or early 2018. At that point, there is no way I'll be "throwing away my shot" to see it on stage. (My sons will be a little older by then, as well. Not ready for my daughter to see it yet, even though she loves the music. Too bad there isn't a child-friendly production available.) I sometimes worry that I'll either get sick of it by then or no one will care at that point since they all saw it. However, I listened to The Last Five Years for 10 years before seeing it on stage and was still in love with it. And people still care about Rent 20 years later. Also, I'm pacing myself with the soundtrack, by listening to other music and audio books on my rides to and from work. I listen to Hamilton in the car when I'm driving the kids somewhere though.

In any case, I should really try not to complain since my desire to see Hamilton is so minor in comparison with what some people have going on in their lives. In the grand scheme of things, I know I will get to see it within the next few years. "It's only a matter of time."

Who knew someone as disinterested in history and politics as I am would be so in love with this musical?!?

So, until I see Hamilton, I am making a list for myself of other things to look forward to between now and the time it comes to DC (unless I somehow get lucky and there's a great deal on tickets for the Broadway production).

*Crazy Ex-Girlfriend season two, which comes back in a week! (Also, Jane the Virgin, season three!!!)
*More mini-trips and vacations with my family (although the mini-trips are more likely)
*Birthdays...my husband's, my kids', my own
*My anniversary in March
*Hamilton's America on PBS (also coming next week)
*Lin-Manuel Miranda hosting Drunk History about Alexander Hamilton in late November
*More episodes of This is Us, which I am loving
*Hopefully a good outcome from the 2016 election (and surviving the intensity of that day)
*My sister's upcoming visit
*Fuller House, season two, coming in December!
*Moana (which has music from Lin-Manuel)
*Taking my kids to see Mary Poppins at my favorite local professional theater
*Hopefully seeing Wicked again if the price is right
*My daughter learning how to read (It will happen in due time. She's getting closer.)
*Season five of Orphan Black next spring (sadly, the last season)
*All the good books I still have waiting on my shelf to be read (along with the new Wally Lamb book coming next month)
*The Mary Poppins sequel featuring Lin-Manuel (not sure if that's before or after I will finally get to see Hamilton)
*Stranger Things, season two, coming next summer
*Live-action Beauty and the Beast, coming in March
*Seeing Avenue Q at a local college theater in February
*Getting my Hamilfun-ko Pop soon (I couldn't resist and had a little birthday money to play with)
*Going to Six Flags a lot next summer, as we got a great deal on season passes

This is just a short list. I'm sure other things will come up that I'll want to see or do, and those things will keep me entertained until the day I see Hamilton in all its glory.

2 comments:

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

I understand how you feel! When you love something so much and you can't take part in it. I feel that way about all the people who get to meet the actor I love when I never have!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Yay, I love your list! I cannot wait for Fuller House.

I hope to see Hamiliton some day, but I imagine it'll be wayyy down the road.