Tuesday, May 4, 2010

You Belong to the City

This is a post from a little over 3 years ago, when we first moved to NJ. I was thinking about it this weekend, for some reason.

Monday, April 09, 2007
Heading east

Current mood: excited
Category: Travel and Places
One more day left of Illinois living, and then we head out to NJ, for a new, exciting, and different lifestyle. I am looking forward to the move, believe it or not. I think it will be interesting, as I've never lived out of state before. Knowing people out east helps. I don't feel like I'm going to a completely foreign land. Everyone I talk to also seems to know someone who lives out that way.
I'll be back to Illinois for visits, but I wonder if it will have the same feel or not. Some people have heard my thoughts on Chicago, as a city. How I found it glamorous as a kid and wanted to live there for a little while as an adult. How one day that all changed and now going to Chicago feels more like a hassle than anything else. I know that sounds so bad, but I only go down there now to visit friends (usually meeting up in Chinatown), go to a Cubs game, and occassionally go to Showtune Sunday at Sidetracks. When I went to NYC this past winter, I was completely blown away. I just get such a rush from being there. I love how you can cross the street and potentially bump into someone famous (like when my path crossed with Mario Cantone). I love how everything feels alive at all hours of the night. I love how you can be anyone and fit in just fine (I had this feeling, when I went to downtown Chicago last year, that I didn't fit in anymore). I don't dislike Chicago, but I just like NYC better these days. Which is why I'm glad we'll be living a short distance away.
I'm also looking forward to the journey towards the destination. I don't necessarily like having to drive, but I used to log a lot of miles back and forth from home and school. I will enjoy the aspect of singing a lot in the car and only having my cat to judge me (DH and Eitan will be in another car). It will be fun to make little stops along the way too.
I'll write more after we get settled in and the computer is back up.


Follow up:
It's funny to think about how disillusioned I became about NYC after writing this post. I think the disillusionment just built up over time for me. My in-laws' perspective of NYC is so different than mine. These days, I shudder just looking at the sign that points toward NYC (when I'm on the highway and have a choice between NYC and DC). I think that when I first went to DC for a visit, it jaded my view of NYC even more. They're completely opposite of each other, in my opinion. Everything that is beautiful, comfortable and relaxing about DC makes NYC feel even more crowded, fast-paced and dirty. I know there are people who love NYC and wouldn't leave it for a million dollars. However, the only way I plan to go back to the city is to visit my in-laws and now I want them to move out by us. I don't mind going back to NJ for visits, but it's hard to cram in time to see everyone I want. (Last time I was there was for a friend's daughter's birthday party and I got to see some other friends that way.) The one thing I do like about NYC is the Broadway aspect. One of the best times I had there was seeing "In the Heights" in 2009. All of NYC isn't about Broadway though and just being there unnerves me every time.

I'm just happy that I found a city where I feel truly comfortable and don't live too far away from either. I get a natural high every time I go to DC, no matter what it is I'm doing. I've never been much of a history buff, but I love that so much history takes place here. It feels like America's version of the holy land. I got to visit the White House this past winter. They didn't show a lot on the tour, but it was neat to be inside and see rooms where past presidents spent their time and entertained people. I also love how prominent the capital building looks in the middle of everything else. And best of all, most of the museums are free! There is so much to do for families out here, as well as stuff for just grown-ups. I'm glad I have a city where I feel I finally belong.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Isn't amazing how time can color our perceptions? I always wanted to live in NYC for a few years after college, but after a miserable grad school interview, I was jaded by the city for years. (No, I didn't end up living there. Yes, I did eventually love the city again.) Actually, when I accepted my job in Chicago in 2005, I took one last trip from Boston down to NYC to sort of mourn that I would never live there. Yeah, I'm over it.

However, I love-love-love the city of Chicago. I love being in the city, even though I know I don't take advantage of a fraction of its offerings. Still, my intention is to get back to the suburbs eventually.