I haven't revisited my 90's blog in a while. After I wrote the previous posts, I thought of some other 90's favorites that I missed.
Jill Sobule: Before Katy Perry claimed to have "kissed a girl," there was Jill Sobule's version of the song, which was way cuter (in my opinion). The lyrics and tune are completely different to begin with and the video is a lot of fun too. In the summer of 1996, my sister got me hooked on Jill Sobule's CD and we'd listen to it all the time. The songs had a lot of variety and the lyrics were interesting and easy to follow. She has a nice voice that is enjoyable to listen to even now.
Barenaked Ladies: I became more interested in this group in the late 90's. I first heard Brian Wilson and then was listening to a CD of theirs that had a few other classic songs. When "Stunt" came out, I really started to like them. "One Week" was a huge hit on the radio at the time and it was fun to listen to and try to figure out the lyrics.
Sarah McLachlan, "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy": When I was in college, a friend of mine put "Possession" on a mix tape she made me. After hearing that song, I knew I had to hear more and I started listening to Sarah McLachlan's whole album. The songs are mellow and sound beautiful, thanks to her amazing voice. One of my favorites is "Ice Cream." It's just sweet and romantic at the same time. I used to listen to this CD all the time when I was studying, as it was good background music and reminded me of The Coffeehouse because they played it there a lot. I still listen to it as an adult, when I need to relax or when I'm getting work done.
Soundtracks:
"Pretty Woman": I had this soundtrack on cassette for the longest time and must have worn it out, because it just stopped working after a while. I finally purchased it on CD so I could listen in my car. Hearing it again brought back memories of when I first saw the movie (and loved it) and became addicted to the soundtrack. The first song, "Wild Women Do" by Natalie Cole, sets the mood for the soundtrack. Then there's "King of Wishful Thinking" by Go West, which became an instant hit in the early 90's. There's also the classic "It Must Have Been Love" by Roxette, which gives off a different mood from the movie. The rest of the soundtrack is just a lot of fun overall.
"Beautiful Girls" and "The Truth About Cats and Dogs": I lump these soundtracks together because I saw the movies around the same time and both have great tunes and a mellow feel to them. Jill Sobule even has a song on the latter of the two. I love that "Sweet Caroline" is on the "Beautiful Girls" soundtrack, as my friend and I used to find it funny to sing it out loud together. There's a pretty one on "The Truth..." soundtrack called "Angel Mine" by Cowboy Junkies. There's just a lot to like about both CDs and they both give off a seductive tone overall. Either are great to play on a date. :)
Other songs I liked in the 90's (and still like now):
"Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia
"In the House of Stone and Light" by Martin Page
"Birmingham" by Amanda Marshall
"Zombie" by The Cranberries
"Lightning Crashes" by Live
"Good" by Better than Ezra
"Hey Jealousy" by Gin Blossoms
"When I Come Around" by Green Day
"Six Underground" by Sneaker Pimps
"Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots
I'm sure I'll think of more songs and albums after the fact, but this pretty much sums up 90's music favorites for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment