Sunday, February 13, 2011

It's a moral imperative....

One of my favorite movie lines is from "Real Genius." I love when Val Kilmer's character says "it's a moral imperative." It makes the task at hand sound so important, no matter what it may be. I've discovered that it's a moral imperative to see certain movies.

Several times, I've been told that I have to see "Ghost." The topic of the movie is sad, but if I can read novels about women who become widows at a young age, then I should be able to handle this movie by now.

Last year, our next door neighbor made us see "Casablanca," as he was shocked that we never had seen it before. I wasn't overly impressed with the movie. I was expecting more. I felt that way about "Gone With the Wind" too. I guess I'm not one for classical films. When this same neighbor confessed to having never seen "Office Space," we made him come over that same night so he could finally see it. He now wants us to see "Kentucky Fried Movie."

We also had another friend over toward the end of the year to see "Back to the Future" for the first time in her life.

This (along with other recent confessions of un-seen "classics") has provoked me to make a list of movies that one should not go without seeing at least once in their life.

* "The Princess Bride" (For one of my Chick Lit Central giveaways, I asked everyone to share their favorite quote from this movie. Some people said they had never seen it before. I nearly fell off my chair in shock!)
* "Airplane"
* "Office Space"
* "When Harry Met Sally"
* "Grease"
* "Back to the Future"
* "The Karate Kid" (the original with Ralph Macchio)
* "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"
* "Real Genius" (because it's a moral imperative, you know)
* "The Shawshank Redemption" (I gave my VHS of this movie to some friends a long time ago and I think they still have yet to watch it, despite my prodding.)

These are all I could think of for now. They're the ones that I gasp in surprise about when I hear that someone has not seen one of them. I'm sure I'll think of others after the fact, but my mind is drawing a blank for now.

Amazingly, there are still some movies I've never seen and people would probably fall over in shock if I told them which ones.

What movies are on your "moral imperative" list?

No comments: