I found this Fiction Friday topic amusing, as my baby is coming soon, b'shaah tovah, and we had quite a struggle to come up with a boy name, just in case we should need it. I figured that I should at least write something for this topic!
Here is the topic for this week's [Fiction] Friday:
It would seem that celebrities choose some interesting names for their offspring. Write a scene where a (fictional) famous person announces the name of their newest child along with justification or reasons why the name was chosen and their attempt to ‘normalise’ it.
The Name Game
After changing out of my work clothes into a pair of cozy maternity sweats, I decide to settle on the couch for another episode of my favorite Hollywood gossip show. This evening, they are featuring Belle Reynolds, the latest "it girl," in her hospital room after having her first baby. I don't know how she manages to look so good after giving birth only a few hours prior. Her hair is perfect and she's wearing a fresh application of makeup. Max Anderson is standing over her ever so intrusively with his microphone jammed in her face.
"So, Belle, tell us what you're naming this little bundle of joy."
"Well, Max," Belle says demurely as she flashes a dazzling smile to the camera, "we've chosen to name our little boy Bennigan, after the restaurant chain that has met their demise. Someone should be able to carry on the name."
"Bennigan, huh? Don't you think with a name like that, he's doomed for failure?"
"Hardly! Bennigan's had the best French onion soup and mozzarella sticks, not to mention their sandwiches that were out of this world. They only failed because they didn't have the spark that my boy will surely have."
The conversation on the television is making me hungry, like most things are these days, so I head into the kitchen to make myself a sandwich. Just then, the door opens bringing my husband in from out of the cold.
"Hey sweetie. How was your day?"
"Decent. This baby was kicking me like there was no tomorrow. It was hard to concentrate. Anyway, guess what Belle Reynolds named her baby?"
"I have no clue. I don't keep up with the celebrity gossip."
"Bennigan! After her favorite restaurant, no less. I was thinking we could name our baby that way too."
"We're not calling the baby Olive Garden."
"Olive is a cute name for a girl though. I've heard of more people naming their kids Olive these days."
"Don't you think people will call her Olive Oyl or something to that extent? And Garden is not the middle name I had in mind for any of my future kids."
"I don't know. You try to think of something better or there won't be any plans for future kids."
"Hmmm...how about Ponderosa? Or Fuddrucker? Maggiano could work too."
"Now you're just being silly," I say as I nudge my husband in his ribcage. "I really think Olive would be a pretty name for our little girl."
"Well, it can't be worse than Bennigan and at least the Olive Garden hasn't tanked yet. They do have good breadsticks. Speaking of which, want to go out for dinner while we still don't have to hire a sitter? The O.G. is having an all you can eat pasta special."
"Sounds like a plan. Let's go now before our little Olive decides to make her appearance."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's hilarious. I love how the conversation ends with them going to Olive Garden. I can imagine a coversation with my husband ending in the same manner.
I had an idea for this prompt buy couldn't find the time/energy to write. Strangely enough it invoves food as well. Maybe I can squeeze it in this week.
It's great to see you writing FF.
When was this prompt from? I like it and would like a go at it. I guess there's nothing stopping me!
I liked the comversation between the husband and wife, I can imagine it being real. Also. the 'it' girl is great!
it was originally for 2/25 but i guess they changed it after i had already written something. oh well. it was fun writing anyway. and now i have a girl so i don't have any naming issues as i love the name i picked for her.
Post a Comment