Friday, November 18, 2011

Funny Friday-11/18/11-Be our "Guest"

Back in 1997, I was hanging out with a close friend one afternoon, when we saw that "Waiting for Guffman" was playing at a nearby theater. We had heard that it was going to be funny and decided to check it out. It turned out to be a total riot!

I recently found a DVD of "Waiting..." at my favorite thrift store and snatched it up right away, as I only had it on VHS. It is such a hilarious movie that has inspired several inside jokes, including one where my friends would get me a cake that said "Everybody dance!"

"Waiting for Guffman" is a mockumentary about a small town putting on a play and finding out that a famous producer was going to be there to see it. It stars Christopher Guest as Corky St. Clair, this obviously gay man who claims to have a wife. It also stars Fred Willard, Catherine O'Hara, Eugene Levy and Parker Posey, who all star in the mockumentaries made after "Waiting..." ("Best in Show," "A Mighty Wind," "For Your Consideration").

What works about "Waiting for Guffman" is the dialogue and witty humor throughout. The buildup to the night of the big show is so entertaining and the show is cheesy in such a funny way that it is worth the wait. It's not to be missed!

I enjoyed the other movies from this mockumentary team, but not as much as "Waiting..." However, "A Mighty Wind" comes close, as it is also really funny (Jane Lynch is in it too). And "For Your Consideration" would have been better if it didn't have such a disappointing ending. (I liked the concept of "Home for Purim" but didn't like what they did with it....that's all I'll say though.) "Best in Show" was cute, but I've only seen it once. Maybe I need to see it again to appreciate it more. And since Jane Lynch is also in that one, I wouldn't mind. I know "This is Spinal Tap" also features members of this comedy team, but I haven't seen it yet. I never knew it was a mockumentary until years later.

Anyway, I highly recommend "Waiting for Guffman" and think you might also enjoy one of the other films from this fabulous comedy team. If you don't believe me, I'm going to go home and bite my pillow. Until then I'll leave you with this final thought..."Everybody dance!"

No comments: