Thursday, November 24, 2011

Talking to myself

Remember the blog project I did last year with three other women? Well, Froggie decided to resurrect it with me and we each got to invite another friend to join us. She invited a mutual friend (someone I met through her) and I invited a friend whose blog I really enjoy reading. So now it's Froggie, Mom of Many, Moma Rock and Merrylandgirl. Hope you enjoy the topics that we'll be exploring!

This week, Mom of Many picked the topic: If you could have lunch with your 10 year older self, what would you talk about?

Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock

A few months ago, I took a look at who I am now in comparison with 10 years ago. So much has happened in that span of time. I can only imagine what the next 10 years has in store!

I can only imagine what the 45 (yes, I said 45) year-old version of me would say about how I currently live my life. She would probably make the following observations:

* I am delusional. I only say this because I think younger versions of myself were totally delusional. Like I can't believe I thought I was somehow cool at those previous ages. Maybe it's due to me living a different lifestyle than I did when I was younger, but nonetheless....

*I am a control freak. Well, I AM! I don't like giving up control of things and have a hard time delegating as a result.

*I have a great sense of humor. If I liked my sense of humor from 10 years ago, I still will like my sense of humor 10 years later. I love to laugh and get annoyed when I'm expecting something to be funny and it isn't. I only hope there is more to laugh about in the world of entertainment 10 years from now, but if my 45 year-old self can still laugh, then I'm not worried.

*I'm disorganized. Like that's such a shock to anyone. I'm also a pack rat/hoarder and will one day become like my late maternal grandmother if I'm not careful.

*I tend to get all fired up when I don't need to. If I don't watch it, I'll turn into Susie from "Curb Your Enthusiasm," minus the swearing.

*I compare myself to TV characters all the time. If it's not the women from "Desperate Housewives," it's Betty from "Ugly Betty," or Claire from "Modern Family," or Lily from "How I Met Your Mother." I even have a bit of Rachel from "Glee" in me.

I have to wonder if I'm still this way, but "future me" has kept a tight lid on all future information thus far. She also has the following advice for me:

*Let them be little. I try to push my kids to grow up too quickly and I need to just sit back and let them be kids. They're only little once.

*Stay in touch with my friends. Make some time every day to write a few e-mails or make a call, even if it's by Skype.

*Put my photos in albums. I have so many blank albums and boxes of photos. The two need to merge. I also shouldn't rely on Facebook as my go-to photo album. Tangible is always better!

*Stop trying to do it all. Take some more real "me time" before I burn out.

*Stop apologizing for what I have accomplished in life. Just enjoy it.

*It's okay to pay retail price every once in a while. No harm in looking nice!

*Try some new foods. You may surprise yourself by liking them.

"Future me" would not tell me anything I really wanted to know. She knows how much I love being surprised and HATE spoilers of any kind. (Why else would I refuse to find out the gender of all three of my kids prior to their births?) She told me that it might also effect what I choose to do for the future and she doesn't want me changing the course of things to come. She wants me to let things happen as they happen.

I suppose I have to be satisfied with the advice she gave me for now and do what she said. It will be interesting to see if things turn out the same way as a result. Although it was suggested that we have lunch together, we talked by phone instead, which is kind of amusing if you know how much I don't like talking on the phone. Therefore, I don't know how I will look in ten years (as again, I won't give myself any "spoilers"). Considering someone younger than me told me I looked 25 (can you believe it?!?), I can only hope that I look like I'm 35 when I'm 45! That may be difficult with all these gray hairs coming in!

No comments: